Catalina 30 - Not starting! Please help.

Feb 1, 2024
Catalina 30 Seattle
Hi all:

My 1984 Catalina 30 was working perfectly and one day later wouldn't start. I turn the key, press the start button and nothing, not even a ticking over. I traced wires and everything looked ok, I even hired a marine electrician to come down and check all the wiring, batteries etc and he said everything looked good. He suggested that the issue might be the starter/solanoid, and that it may be time to replace. Is there any way to check this, because I was hoping the marine electrician would have done this.... I'm also worried that the alternator might be the issue. Sorry for the vague thread but hopefully someone has some advice.

Thanks.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
Your marine electrician should have easily been able to tell you if it was the solenoid. You put a volt meter on the terminals on your starter/solenoid and check for correct voltage. You can jump across the solenoid and see if the starter engages.

Take photos of the starter, solenoid and post here. Someone here can likely tell you exactly what posts you need to find what voltages and how to jump the solenoid.

dj

Mar 6, 2008
Catalina 1999 C36 MKII #1787 Coyote Point Marina, CA.
Take a mallet and hit the starter lightly on all sides. Then try starting. If it fails, you need a helper to press the starter button while you measure the positive voltage on the started cable before and after the starter button is pressed. If you see the expected 12 volts, then remove the starter and perform the same test. If starter does not turn, it can be fixed at an auto repair shop.

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
I had the same issue just a few days ago. It could easily be the push button switch is failing. @ward & I were heading out to sail and no start after I just had the engine running an hour earlier. At Ward's suggestion, we got access to the back of the switch and touched the terminals with a screwdriver. Started immediately. I bought a new switch but haven't installed it yet. Every subsequent start has been flawless so far. I'm thinking the switch will eventually be replaced. Give it a try.

BTW, whenever I've experienced a bad solenoid on my boat or others, there is usually a click while the starter is attempting to engage. The fact that he hears nothing seems to indicate (to me) an electrical disconnection failure. That's why I would start at the push button switch (or maybe even the keyed switch).

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Jun 11, 2004
Oday 31 Redondo Beach
If your "marine electrician" couldn't diagnose whether or not the solenoid worked I might not have that much confidence in him (or her).

Scott T-bird could be on track.

You didn't say what engine you have but if it is a Universal M series there was originally a fuse in the yellow / red wire on the engine side of the harness before the starter. Hopefully your wiring isn't original but you might want to check there or ask the electrician if they did.
Additionally, that wire at 16 gauge, was woefully undersized and has been responsible for many starter inactivation problems.

1724785096989.png

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
If that '84 Catalina still has the OEM Universal M25 diesel, there is a good chance that the starter button has corroded away inside. Also, you need to replace both of the "trailer connectors" in that wiring harness before they overheat enough to start to smolder or start a fire. Most owners either replace the harness with larger diameter wires or at least install terminal strips in place of the woefully inadequate "connectors". Great engines, at their heart, being a marinated Kubota engine.