Catalina 30 MK2 rudder quadrant replacement

Jun 19, 2022
Catalina 30 mkII Swells
Hello All,

It has become time for me to replace my Edson Steering quadrant due to corrosion. I see I can order a replacement one from either catalinadirect or edson marine, but it is quite an expensive part.

I wanted to reach out and see if anyone has found a more economical supplier for these steering parts.

Edson 6.5" quadrant.

Thanks

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Edson parts are rarely, if ever, discounted. You might try Defender.

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
Why do you need to replace it? Is it damaged or just looking really bad? Last fall I replaced my rudder and cable/chain assembly. Durning that work, I also rehabed my radial.
old stop.jpg
20211017_095048.jpg
20211017_095048.jpg

dmax

Jul 29, 2018
O'Day 35 Buzzards Bay
Rehab as Hayden says (nice job) or try to find a used one from a salvage yard.

• Helpful
Apr 5, 2009
If you are going to change your cable/chain assembly also (highly recommended) let me know and we can set up a call to discuss some of the problems, you will encounter and how to get around them.

Apr 5, 2009
Hello All,

Edson 6.5" quadrant.

Thanks
FYI, the C30 has a radial not a quadrant so make sure that you are looking for the right part. The photos I posted in post #5 show a radial. The attached photo is a quadrant, and it does the same thing but only extend 1/4 (90º) of the way around the shaft axis.

Attachments

Jun 19, 2022
Catalina 30 mkII Swells
Hi,

Yes, thanks for the clarification, as I was calling it by the wrong name. It is a 6.5 radial I am after.

Jun 19, 2022
Catalina 30 mkII Swells
If you are going to change your cable/chain assembly also (highly recommended) let me know and we can set up a call to discuss some of the problems, you will encounter and how to get around them.

I wasn't planning on it as the cables and chains seem to be in good condition. Any pro tips on why that would be a good idea?

Jun 19, 2022
Catalina 30 mkII Swells
Why do you need to replace it? Is it damaged or just looking really bad? Last fall I replaced my rudder and cable/chain assembly. Durning that work, I also rehabed my radial. View attachment 211044View attachment 211045View attachment 211045
I think your radial may have been in better condition at the start of your restoration. Mine seems to be missing quite a bit of meat at this point.

I could probably fab my own replacement rudder steering stop, but that actual radial is pretty intricate.

Attachments

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
While this is apart replace the cable. For the cost of one cable from Edson, you can buy the wire and the swaging tool for both cables. The chain is probably in good shape.

Check the idler pulleys, especially the axles. They often develop a flat spot. The axle for the steering wheel needs some attention too. Edson does sell a rebuild kit for that.

Apr 5, 2009
I wasn't planning on it as the cables and chains seem to be in good condition. Any pro tips on why that would be a good idea?
They degrade over time and it really sucks to have one break. I checked mine when I removed them to get the radial out and found a couple of "fish-hooks", by sliding a heavy gloved hand along the wire. If you find a single broken wire strand, it is best to replace it.

• Helpful
Apr 5, 2009
I think your radial may have been in better condition at the start of your restoration. Mine seems to be missing quite a bit of meat at this point.

I could probably fab my own replacement rudder steering stop, but that actual radial is pretty intricate.
Mine did not look a whole lot different than yours when I first removed it from the boat. My rudder stop was in worse shape than yours. The "before" photo was after I pressure washed it and did the first soak in Aspho. The rudder stop is available from CD or Edson for under $70 + S&H. Just do not install it backward because it doesn't work that way. The rounded side goes towards the shaft.

Apr 5, 2009
This is the chart plotter track of the first few minutes of a friends 1988 C30 after he lost his cable in 15-knots wind on a broad reach. The looping stopped after he managed to get the main down. Looks like fun but I prefer my "fun" in a more controlled manner.
Opps, forgot the plot.

broken cable.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2023
Catalina 30 mkII Lake Lanier
I have just recently started this project and would love to discuss. One huge question I have is if this project is possible to do in the water. I have run into this issue in conjunction to to needing to replace my engine control lines, so I can't easily move the boat at this point.
Thanks!!

Apr 5, 2009
I have just recently started this project and would love to discuss. One huge question I have is if this project is possible to do in the water. I have run into this issue in conjunction to to needing to replace my engine control lines, so I can't easily move the boat at this point.
Thanks!!
Sent PM with phone number. I can point you to several tricks that make it much easier. Yes, you can replace the cable / chain assembly in the water. You will need to put a safety line under the rudder to prevent it from dropping out.