Catalina 30 Mk II engine dying in rough seas

Jan 28, 2017
Catalina 30 Mk II Yorktown, VA
I've owned my boat about 5 years but three times recently have had problems with the engine slowing and then dying after running in rough seas. Last time I was in a tight channel and wound up aground in a falling tide. Each time this happens I change the filters and have added additive and the engine runs fine until next time. The filters may have a very small piece or two of solid, but nothing that should shut me down. I have thought about adding an in-line filter near the fuel tank (and keeping lots of spares) but wonder if it is time to clean out the fuel tank, although that sounds like a real awful job. Has anyone solved a similar problem?

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
How much fuel do you use in a year? Have you ever almost emptied your fuel tank to be able to fill up with new fuel? Most will advise to clean your tank but it's a hard job. You could also try to polish your existing fuel.

Then there's this, I learned the hard way:

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Same thing happened on my friend's boat this weekend. I asked him whether he replaced the primary ansd secondary fuel filters since he purchased the boat a number of months ago..........and his answer was NO. Since the boat sat idle for some time without diesel biocide treatment (like Star Tron) it is possible there is algae in the fuel. So recommended polishing it and afterwards replacing both fuel filters. I have a 2 micron primary and 10 micron (Yanmar standard) secondary fuel filters. Since I keep the fuel tank full and treated with a diesel biocide I never have had a filter plugging problem with either filter. Now I have polished fuel on a new to me used powerboat after a 450 mile trip rough from Los Angeles to San Francisco and after my Hunter 386 sailboat sat for 3 years on the hard while overseas, both as a precaution.

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
If your fuel pick-up is drawing in air you will get this condition. Fuel pick-up should be near the center of the tank and just off the tank bottom. If it is near one end of the tank and the fuel sloshes in rough seas to the other end you will draw in air and stall your engine.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Fuel pick-up should be near the center of the tank and just off the tank bottom. If it is near one end of the tank and the fuel sloshes in rough seas to the other end you will draw in air and stall your engine.
I wonder the basis of this comment:doh:? Many different tank designs. My port-side tank is not “level”; it slopes down moving fwd from near the fill aft. Its depth is tapered; shallow near the fill, then deep fwd. Consequently, the pick-up is at the deep end.

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2014
Catalina 30 MKII Gulfport, FL
When I bought my boat, I removed the center fuel level circular sending plate, which was quite easy. Then used a plastic stiff siphon / pump from Amazon, and was able to pull a LOT of "gunk"; algae and other sediment that I was told the additives produced, by properly doing their job. Stiff input tube let me hit the edges and corners of the tank.
Have never had a problem, and filters seem clean.
I did learn later to not run a full tank, but just what you'll use in a month or two. Love how sparingly the diesel uses fuel - but then I prefer the quiet of sailing.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Miketcook......sorry but I am from the school of keeping the tank full and treat with a diesel biocide to mitigate algae formation and filter plugging. I have a power boat and sailboat with 2 micron primary and 10 micron secondary filters and never a problem.

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina 36 Channel Islands Harbor CA
I would most certainly argue that it is dirty fuel in the tank. Happened to me a couple of times. The pickup tube would get all gunked up. Rough seas agitate the growth and clogs up the pickup tube. A little water in your fuel and all sorts of growth can take place. I removed all of the fuel from the tank, clean the tank thoroughly, and returned the fuel to the tank pouring it through multiple layers of cheesecloth. Never a problem since.

Nov 22, 2011
Ericson 26-2 San Pedro, CA
One thing you should do is remove the pickup tube and check to see if there is a mesh screen attached to the bottom of it. If there is, REMOVE IT.

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
I wonder the basis of this comment:doh:? Many different tank designs. My port-side tank is not “level”; it slopes down moving fwd from near the fill aft. Its depth is tapered; shallow near the fill, then deep fwd. Consequently, the pick-up is at the deep end.
Obviously some designs are different, like yours. Most tanks are simple rectangles installed level. In rough chop, when the bow of the boat starts pounding up and down, the fuel in the tank sloshes back and forth with the potential to expose the pickup tube to air. On my original tank installation the manufacturer put the pick-up on the end of the tank nearest the engine possibly as a convenience to access the fuel shut-off. This design, however, particularly when fuel level is low introduces the problem I described here. An acquaintance of mine experienced this exact problem exiting the Cape Cod Canal into heavy chop caused by the wind opposing the canal current flowing into Buzzards Bay. A bad time to have to bleed your injectors.. That was the basis you were wondering about.

Apr 27, 2014
Catalina 30mklll Hudson, FL
If your fuel pick-up is drawing in air you will get this condition. Fuel pick-up should be near the center of the tank and just off the tank bottom. If it is near one end of the tank and the fuel sloshes in rough seas to the other end you will draw in air and stall your engine.
I have a 1995 Catalina 30 MK III and I had a similar problem a few years ago. Engine quit. I changed fuel filters and it seemed to run fine, but then a few days later it quit again. I decided to start checking right from the fuel tank. I used a small compressor to force some air into the tank thru the fuel fill, to check the air vent. It appeared that the vent was OK.
Then I pulled out the pickup tube. The pickup tube was a hard plastic tube. It was loose at the fitting at the top of the tank (it was just a pressure fit) and I could wiggle it. I thought that it might be letting air into the line if it wiggled, maybe with fuel sloshing around, since there is air at the top of the tank. I replaced the tube with a piece of fuel line hose, and I never had the problem again.

Jan 28, 2017
Catalina 30 Mk II Yorktown, VA
Thanks for the great input. I change my filters regularly and keep the tank full or near full. I treat the fuel once a year when I winterize. Think I will check the fuel pick- up, polish the fuel and see how it goes, unless I see something concerning in the process. I will also check my Racor. I have replaced the filter but did not check the valve. Again thanks for the help.