Catalina 30 Livability

jrowan

Mar 5, 2011
O'Day 35 Severn River, Mobjack Bay, Va.
That was the point of what I wrote, is that the rudder is completely exposed on the C 30 & the rudder tube stock is not very stout, so this is not an admirable design for any "blue water cruiser." If you want to make an example of what the C 30 is capable of, its better not to mention a guy who knocked his rudder off & had to dive to retrieve it & glue it back together. Most ocean going yachts are either full keel or have a full skeg to protect the rudder against impact damage or entanglement.
I merely mentioned the Gemini just show that I'm open minded & don't ignore other yacht styles out there. The Gemini is very highly regarded as a liveaboard cruiser & are very popular in Florida waters, where he is cruising. This is due to there extremely low draft requirements. But I would also not recommend them for deep, blue water ocean cruising due to their low bridge deck. But I thought that most sailors don't want excessive "twisting" between the hulls of a catamaran. I am not a catamaran sailor by any means (other then a Hobie Cat) but how would that benefit its performance?

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
That was the point of what I wrote, is that the rudder is completely exposed on the C 30 & the rudder tube stock is not very stout, so this is not an admirable design for any "blue water cruiser." If you want to make an example of what the C 30 is capable of, its better not to mention a guy who knocked his rudder off & had to dive to retrieve it & glue it back together. Most ocean going yachts are either full keel or have a full skeg to protect the rudder against impact damage or entanglement.
The boat slipped it's mooring line due to a mistake made by the owner. Smashed into a reef for several minutes by large swell. Motored itself off after the owner realized what was going on and back to the mooring. And the only damaged sustained was that the lower portion of the rudder sustained fiberglass damage (the rudder tube did not take damage because the rudder functioned as designed, see below). Damage that was repaired without haul-out in a remote part of the world. Dry-out the rudder, grind away the damage and reglass/fill. I think this story demonstrates that the C30 is stronger than it is given credit for being.

For a little thread drift, there are many people who consider the spade rudder better than the skeg or keel hung rudder and this story is a perfect example of why. First, the spade rudder is far more efficient and therefore requires less torque and simpler steering mechanism. Second, there are far less forces placed on the spade rudder by water lift forces because it is away from the keel and clear of the turbulent water generated that can result in damage. Third, the protection offered by the skeg or back portion of the keel is overrated because most debris would be cleared away from the rudder by the leading edge of the keel and not come in contact with the rudder area. Finally, and I think this story is a good example of this, a well designed spade rudder won't cause structural damage in a case like this and the bottom portion is considered "sacrificial". If this was a skeg hung or keel hung rudder that took this type of damage there could have suffered major damage that would have required a haul-out or could have structurally damaged the hull or created a leak that sank the boat. If the boat continued to slam against the reef the rudder would have sheered off instead of making a hole in the boat.

By the way, take a look at the global racing boats like those used in the Volvo or other races. They don't have skeg hung rudders and are going through conditions that are typically far worse then any cruiser would see. Also, many modern cruising boats (and yes, some those considered blue water boats like Tartan for instance) have gone to spade rudders.

As with many things on boats, gear/design will get a bad reputation based on incomplete stories. Most of the time when there is a failure of a spade rudder it is due to lack of maintenance. If you are not inspecting and maintaining any boat equipment properly, the equipment isn't to blame, the sailor is.

I merely mentioned the Gemini just show that I'm open minded & don't ignore other yacht styles out there. The Gemini is very highly regarded as a liveaboard cruiser & are very popular in Florida waters, where he is cruising. This is due to there extremely low draft requirements. But I would also not recommend them for deep, blue water ocean cruising due to their low bridge deck. But I thought that most sailors don't want excessive "twisting" between the hulls of a catamaran. I am not a catamaran sailor by any means (other then a Hobie Cat) but how would that benefit its performance?
Catamarans with solid decks completely between the two hulls are more prone to sharp, sudden movements because you will often have each hull being affected differently by waves (one hull on the crest with the other in a trough for example). By allowing for some twist/freedom of movement in the ends the boat can allow it to recover quicker from sharp, quick movements and reduce the uncomfortable feel. They also help in reducing the slamming of waves to the bridge deck.

jrowan

Mar 5, 2011
Hey Boston, you seem to be making this a personal thing, but we are all entitled to our own opinions, & mine are backed by 30 years of sailing in places like the Irish Sea, so I stand behind the fact that the C 30 is not, & never will be a Blue Water quality or designed sailboat. PERIOD.
I own a C 30 & while I love the boat, I know its limitations.

You make issue of another post, so why don't you read my response to it, which I think was accurate:

Re: Is a Catalina 30 a good cruising boat for the Carribbean

I agree that most sailors should know their limits via their experience & knowledge. That, & time constraints & demands of work, life, & family are likely what keeps most boats tied to the dock 95 % of the time. But I think its not wise, & rather fool hearty to expect a boat that was designed for lake, bay & coastal cruising to perform like a "blue water boat."
I have owned/sailed 3 different Catalinas & can state, without reservation that these boats are generally built on the light side when it comes to their hull to deck connections, overall rigging standards & systems & components are not "robust" enough to take on any ocean crossing. It is not fair to expect a boat that was not designed for ocean crossing to perform in a capacity that it was never intended. I think its really taking a big risk, which could cost the crew of Panache their lives. I think that they're coming to terms with this from their recent rudder failure. When I think of the cheap gate valves, leaky portlights, chainplates, keel cracks, mast compression post rot, etc. that C 30's are well known for, I would not be able to sleep on a 24 hour crossing. Once you're out their on your own, that just it: you're on your own. Are you willing to bet the lives of yourself & your family on 30+ year old components? Any failed cheap valve, hose or clamp can send you to the bottom in 5 minutes. I saw that someone added the windvane steering & solar panels to Panache. Bolting stuff onto a C-30 that come with cruising boats, does not a blue water cruiser make. There really is no debate over what makes a real blue water cruiser. It is a much higher standard of construction then most production boat builders can meet. A good clearing house of blue water designed boats can be found at a good web site:
http://bluewaterboats.org/
Everyone takes some risks when we sail on older boats that we can actually afford.
But I know my limits, & I know my boat's limits. Because I'm an honest sailor, who doesn't let the rose colored glasses that some put on when they romanticise cruising the world, distort reality.

PS. Almost every one of the boats catalogued in the Blue Water Boats website either has a skeg hung rudder, partial skeg or a barn door type rudder hung off a full keel for good reason. Because they are tough & reliable. Apparently you don't have any lobster or crab pots or fishing traps lines to get caught between your rudder & your hull where you sail? Also a simple matter of a soft grounding can cause an exposed open spade rudder to bend or break off, if any of the boats weight is resting on it. This will not happen with a full keel hung rudder. A full skeg also does an excellent job of protecting the leading edge of the keel from damage, & greatly strengthens the rudder connection to the hull. I would not use modern ocean racers as an example of great design. They have failures all the time! I guess you didn't hear about the recent death of the British skipper during the Americas Cup Challenge? & that was in San. Fransisco bay mate, not the North Atlantic.
Here are just a couple of pics of what can happen to a fully exposed spade rudder, verses skeg hung rudder damage. The spade rudder bends & snaps off, while the skeg rudder only suffers bottom edge damage from impact. Yes, spade rudders are designed to bend rather then puncture the hull. But on an old boat that may only be worth 5 k or less, that kind of damage is fatal, as it will be totaled by an insurance co.
Most sailors would be shocked to find out that it can cost more then what there boat is worth to have a spade rudder & tube replaced of they run hard aground.
But back to the point, I have a lot of friends who sail Catalina 30's, & while we love them, not one of 'em would be foolish enough to sail their boats across the South Pacific, or in the roaring 40's & not expect to come out unscathed.
I am busy & and not going to keep this thread going, as I've said my peace on the matter. But I'll close by saying that our mind set can't be that different, as I noticed that we both quote the great Mark Twain.

Attachments

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
In interest of harmony among Catalina owners I won't reply to any specific points.

I will just say this to any who may read this thread. Don't assume that conventional wisdom is correct or the only opinion. Do some research. Do it with an open mind so you don't fall victim to confirmation bias. Don't except "that's how it has always been done" as a legitimate answer. Weigh the information and make up your own mind.

Fair winds jrowan!

Jesse

Oct 3, 2011
Anam Cara Catalina 310 Hull #155 155 Lake Erie/Catawba Island
Best Cruising boat for Two, As Gerry Douglas stated when he designed it, "It drinks 8,feeds 4 and sleeps two"- Catalina 310

Sanman

Aug 28, 2006
- - Birmingham, AL
Best Cruising boat for Two, As Gerry Douglas stated when he designed it, "It drinks 8,feeds 4 and sleeps two"
I think this about sums it up, :D THANKS!
And a HUGE thank you to all you responders! The Sea trials went well and the Survey rated her as "above average"... So we now own a C30! The very few items the survey found will be addressed in the coming weeks, then we will be bringing her back from St Petersburg to Pensacola, once we get a decent weather window. So thanks again, for all the info. :yeah:

Jan 22, 2008
Fed up w/ personal attacks I'm done with SBO
The boat slipped it's mooring line due to a mistake made by the owner.
In general terms I'd suggest for real cruising I don't think I'd want a boat that's fine as long as I don't make any mistakes. Nope, I'm human so I'd hope my boat could withstand a mistake or two.

It [Catalina 30] drinks 8,feeds 4 and sleeps two
Oh brother, how true. When I refit my C-30 I did away with the dinette table that converts to a berth for this very reason. My table is a table, period.

Jul 1, 2004
Catalina 30 Atlanta GA
st. Pete to Pensacola? Why not head up to cedar key and enjoy a stop at tarpon springs. Taking some of the Big bend and heading inside and out from appalachacola can made for a longer but scenic trip rather then going straight across. The icw in the panhandle is a great run. Whichever, welcome to the 30 family and may your trip be a safe and enjoyable one.

Bob
88 mark 2

Sep 1, 2013
Catalina 30 Omena, MI
2 adults, 2 kids, no problem

For 3 years we had a Catalina 27 and spent our summers away from our college teaching Jobs living on the boat in Northern MI. At the beginning of last summer, I sold the 27 and bought a Catalina 30 and the space that we gained was great. My wife, 2 seven year olds and I have no problem living on the boat for the summer. I do realize that everyone is different, but we have had no problem with the space issue. Certain comforts I have added however, such as, a refrigerator, AC/DC electric burner, LED lighting, 150watt solar charger.

livability has a lot to do with how much stuff you "need' on the boat. Many people load up their boats with much more, clothing, gadgets, and other crap than they really need. In the 30 foot range, there is no other boat in the price range with as much livable space.
Best
Robert
Pura Vida-Omena MI

Feb 5, 2012
Catalina 1990 Catalina 30 Mark II Harbor Island Yacht Club, Old Hickory Lake, Nashville, TN
Having slept on my boat a lot in the last couple of years, I've come to the conclusion that the best place to sleep is not in the V-berth but in the main cabin, on top of the platform made by using the table top and the couch.

If you decide to go this route, you can get creative and use the entire V-berth for storage; my wife and I are sticklers for organization on our boat, and if you plan your storage bins wisely, you will find that you can get to everything without any trouble.

I've also started thinking about using prebuilt plastic drawer sets and anchoring them to the port side of the V-berth. If we put 2 lengths of drawers, with a small gap in the middle, I think we might be able to store more than just using piles of plastic bins.

jrowan

Mar 5, 2011
FYI: I tried to install some of those plastic prebuilt drawers in the aft berth area, as it seemed like a much better way to organize that space. But the aft berth has very little head height (this is why I use it for storage, as it is claustrophobic for sleeping in) so the drawers wouldn't fit. I like many sailors use the aft berth as my storage "garage" & it can swallow up a behemoth amount of goods, but they can get lost in that black hole when it gets piled up. My aft cushions are all covered in vinyl to prevent leaks or spills from damaging fabric. Not sure about how you would even secure a large set of drawers in the forward V berth. They would look pretty unsightly, & would certainly bang around a lot when underway sailing into a chop. I think a better use of space would be to make cabinet doors for the coaming storage inside the perimeter of the main cabin, as the peg & rails do not hold stored items very well when under way. I know that the last of the mark III models had doors installed for proper cabinets, which I'm sure is a nice improvement. Cheers.

Feb 26, 2008
Catalina 30 Marathon, FL
I think a better use of space would be to make cabinet doors for the coaming storage inside the perimeter of the main cabin, as the peg & rails do not hold stored items very well when under way. I know that the last of the mark III models had doors installed for proper cabinets, which I'm sure is a nice improvement. Cheers.
JRowan, this is how my MKIII is set up and I thought the later MKII's were set up that way to.

One other thing. You mentioned the quality of gate valves being and issue. That's not an issue with the later boats, but I'm not sure when the changeover occurred.

Mar 23, 2015
Cal 3-30 Bayfield
Probably a stupid question, but where does one fing those galley, hammock style nets for storage? Do they have a specific name?

Thanks In Advance

Gregg
"S/v Candyce B" Cal 3-30
Bayfield, WI

Mar 23, 2015
Cal 3-30 Bayfield
Thanks Stu...Yes, I found it!! Due to my correct guess, as to what it is called. Thanks To Gary, as well.

Jul 27, 2010
Catalina 30 MKII Morgan City, LA
Congratulations on the new C30! Being a new owner of an MKII myself, I plan on making the transition to the dark side. I will install a C-head and if all goes well with it, remove the black water tank and install another fresh water tank if needed or utilize the space for as an additional storage area. I know it's not for everyone, but after dealing with a porta-potti for the last couple of years on my C22, I don't believe it can be any worse.

Aug 16, 2020
Catalina 30 Seattle
Other options

To answer your question directly the Catalina 30 can easily cruise two people along the coast of Florida. I have a 1988 Catalina 30 which I really enjoy the room down below and in the cockpit. There are a few things to consider which may affect your decision. I cruised on a Hunter 30, 1990 I believe. It has more storage room than the Catalina. One important feature is the sugar scoop stern which is really a nice feature when using a dinghy. It also has a smaller head sail, fractional rig, which makes tacking easier. I also think it is more responsive under sail and power. Downside is that it has a smaller cockpit and interior although the aft berth runs across the stern and is bigger than the Catalinas'. Galley and head about the same size. The Hunter engine is smaller but seemed to work fine along the ICW. You should look 3 cynlinder diesel. The Atomic 4 on earlier models also works well and parts are still available. For my purposes the Catalina 30 works better for me due to the larger cockpit and cabin. I have a cockpit shower . I also prefer the dinette version and have modified it so we can sleep width wise. An inflatable queen bed will fit across the aisle for a super berth. If you could only take the best features from both boats it would be a hell of a coastal cruiser. Dependent on your budget the Catalina Mark 3 gives you an open transom.
Good luck in your search.
It sounds like you’ve solved my sleeping issue on the Catalina 30! It sounds like you modified the dinette—perhaps to fill the gap between the table and the starboard settee—to support the queen size mattress. How did you fill the gap or do you need to do that? Thanks!

Jan 2, 2021
MacGregor 26D Loreto, BCS
The sleeping arrangements are great compared to our 27, no more bumping the head on the overhead in the Vberth or knocking knees in the quarter berth.
Hi Garbone. I know this is a Zombie thread, lo siento. I am searching for dimensions of the V-berth in the Catalina 30... if you know them, please send to me.
Gracias, BD