Catalina 30 exact dimensions for boat slip

Oct 21, 2017
Catalina 27 Michigan
I am considering the purchase of an older Catalina 30. Supposedly the standard rig is 29.92 ft

My problem is that my marina is very strict about their 30 foot slips. The boat cannot exceed 30 feet!! This includes any part of the boat; stern pulpit, bow pulpit etc. They WILL measure it.

A larger slip is significantly more expensive, and the waiting list is several years long!

Could someone let me know if the standard rig Catalina 30 exceeds 30 ft?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Michigan Sailor asking a question like this can fail. Even if the boat was designed to meet these exact measurements no one can tell what previous owners might have added or subtracted. Only sure way is for you to measure and then discuss with the exacting marina management.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
You don’t mention what year, it based on this data, it doesn’t really matter…
42B4EF37-93C7-42E9-B691-BC63426E2D8D.png)

As @jssailem advised, who knows what a previous owner has done to the boat… But I would assume any anchor hanging off the bow roller will put you over the limit…if the anchor counts as part of the boat…

best to measure and be sure since it sounds like a lot is riding on the outcome.

Greg

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
Based on what @Tally Ho just posted from sailboat data.com the length over all of 29.92', which is listed for all C30 models, is the hull length. Note the bow sprit version has the same LOA as the standard rig.
Bow sprit, pulpit and stern boarding ladder are not included in the LAO so you will need to know how much of those options extend the length. As already posted, you never know if the ladder or a pulpit has been changed.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
All those dire warnings may be true. But, if you want to know what the original design was, go to www.catalinayachts.com and look under the archived borchures tab for the brochures of the year of your prospective candidate. It will have the dimensions. You may have to register for free on thast site to access the brochures. Unless the PO added avits or a stern extension...or some kinda ramming thing at the bow, it should be real.

Oct 21, 2017
Catalina 27 Michigan
Michigan Sailor asking a question like this can fail. Even if the boat was designed to meet these exact measurements no one can tell what previous owners might have added or subtracted. Only sure way is for you to measure and then discuss with the exacting marina management.
True. But I was hoping that someone would measure their ow

Oct 21, 2017
Catalina 27 Michigan
Well, it looks like LAO only includes the Hull, and looking at the Catalina brochures, the bow pulpit extends quit a way forward.

The Marina is just a block from my house, and the next closest is 17 miles away. Convenience is a big factor here.

Looks like a 30 isn’t in the cards but I’ve been eyeing the Catalina 28. It is much more boat than the 27 but costs more than the 30s. Go figure.

Thanks for all the replies.

Jan 26, 2019
Catalina 30, mkI 2462 Waukegan, IL
I have a 35 foot slip for my C30 and cannot imagine anything smaller.
I want more than 1" to spare when docking even on a calm day.

Oct 21, 2017
Catalina 27 Michigan
Good point. The 30’ slips are perpendicular to the busy boat ramps, and the piloting skills of some trailer boaters leave a lot to be desired. The prevailing west winds blow directly into the 30 foot slips. The finger piers extend 30 feet and offer substantial protection unless your boat extends past them.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
They WILL measure it.
I would call the marina and ask them if there are any C30's docked there.... I guarantee the pulpit will put the overall length over 30 feet... but... sometimes they will let you fudge on that.... Essentially they are concerned with folks who protrude in to the fairway ... and pulling in too far to avoid doing that the pulpit extends too far over the walk way.
The C30 and C27 are literally identical proportion wise, fyi. My marina has the same verbage but they unofficially allow 3 ft over the slip size for exactly that reason.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
.............My problem is that my marina is very strict about their 30 foot slips. The boat cannot exceed 30 feet!! This includes any part of the boat; stern pulpit, bow pulpit etc. They WILL measure it. A larger slip is significantly more expensive, and the waiting list is several years long!............
I also feel your pain........measure it from the bow pulpit to the aft-most entensions of the boat, i.e., swim platform and/or dinghy davits to be sure. That's what do before purchasing a boat so I can reasonably predict what size berth I need to be in and have a predictable chance to berth in it without being rejected by the marina. The Hunter 46 is in a 47 ft berth and I cannot add dinghy davits without exceeding the berth length so doing without with the dinghy stored on the foredeck. Another 44 ft boat is in a 55 ft slip since its overall length is 50.5 ft from bow pulpit to end of the dinghy on davits hanging off the stern.

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2017
Catalina 27 Michigan
I would call the marina and ask them if there are any C30's docked there.... I guarantee the pulpit will put the overall length over 30 feet... but... sometimes they will let you fudge on that.... Essentially they are concerned with folks who protrude in to the fairway ... and pulling in too far to avoid doing that the pulpit extends too far over the walk way.
The C30 and C27 are literally identical proportion wise, fyi. My marina has the same verbage but they unofficially allow 3 ft over the slip size for exactly that reason.
There are only 7 seasonal slips at this state run marina, and none is a 30’ sailboat. All the rest are transient.

They ARE very concerned about the bow pulpit extending over the main dock. They also stressed to me, verbally and in writing, that the 30’ limit is absolute.

What a headache, but I will be able to see my boat from my waterfront home and it is a very short walk. Heck, I could come home by dinghy. The next closest marina is 17 miles away. Convenience is everything.