Catalina 30 Blister Repair

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dan Ruffin

Bought a "new to me" 1982 Catalina 30 this summer. She has blisters and (from what the surveyor said) indications of "first layer delamination". I plan on having the condition professionally repaired this winter when I haul her out. Has anybody had some experience/suggestions with these repairs and the companies that do them? I live in the Annapolis area.

P

patrick e. boole

repairs

i hope you got an outstanding price because if you are going to have it professionally done it is going to cost a whole bunch of money. the first layer is the layer next to the outside gelcoat. it is the most important layer as it sets the tone for the rest of the layups. don't know of anyone there but if it is like here it is very costly. blisters can be handled a bit better.

J

John Mavrovich

Blistery Problem

Did your surveyor say it needed to be peeled? It's possible that you only need to repair localized delamination and blisters. If the entire bottom needs to be peeled, it'll cost plenty. Once it's hauled, open the blisters immediately (or circle them). They will start to disappear quickly and you won't be able to locate them otherwise. This will hasten the drying out process. Get several estimates from contractors that are referred to you. Talk to lots of people who have been pleased with their repairs to get these referrals. Have the boat dry out all winter and have the work done in the spring. Good luck John S/V Malida

L

LaDonna Bubak - Planet Catalina

If you have it peeled

You'll have to keep your boat out of the water for some time if you peel it due to blister & delam problems. The yard will have to tarp it off & let it dry out - I've seen some sitting for months waiting to be dry enough to fix. I guess the good news is you'd probably have her hauled for the winter anyway. I think peeling a whole boat costs somewhere in the range (depending on boat size) of $5000. If it were me, I'd probably get a second opinion about the delamination before doing anything else. That's going to be your costliest repair so make sure it's actually a problem before touching it. The blisters are relatively easy to fix - you could do it yourself if you read up on it (This Old Boat, Upgrading the Cruising Sailboat, etc). Good luck! LaDonna

D

Dan Ruffin

Thanks for the tips!!

Thanks to you all for the tips!! It has made me rethink the need for a full peel. The surveyor said "A somewhat uniform delamination condition was found. Approx. 150 or so sites were noted and all sites were approx. 2" in diameter. No action is required for safety or serviceablility. At a minimum, dry storage of vessal each winter off season. To repair this condition, bottom should be stripped with modern planing equipment and re-laminated." I will get the hull reevaluated this winter, and at least get the blister repairs this year. Any other thoughts?

R

Robert Moretti

What would you do?

I, too, just purchased a c-30, 1985 model. At survey (and this was a very thorough surveyor), there were quite a few tiny blisters, not much larger than pinhead size. But the moisture meter did not show any moisture being held in the hull. I have no idea how long these blisters have been in existence. Repairing them one by one seems like a very tedious job, and does nothing to address the issue of whether more are in the process of developing. Do any of you have any experience or ideas about this? I am fairly knowledgeable about blister repair in general, but not this specific situation. Thanks!

D

David Ullrich

had mine fixed professionally

I have a 1983 Cat30. She had the same condition yoiu describe. Hundreds of tiny blisters and a few larger ones. I got 3 different surveyors to take a look at her, all came up with the same end. The bottm has to be pealed and redone. No ifs, ands or buts. Eventually all the ltttle ones will become orange sized. The water in the blisters will desolve the epoxy in the glass causing permanent damage if not fixed. If your Cat has the tiny pinprick blisters, find a good yard and get them fixed before the internal layers of glass are damaged. Make sure the shop knows what they are doing. The MUST have and use a moisture measuring scale. Don't let them reseal the bottom until they consistantly get readings of lower than 5%.

M

Mark Johnson

Absolutely!!

As the previous post said...make sure it is really dry! Don't even think of filling the blisters until a surveyor puts a meter on it and checks the moisture level. My 1985 36 had a problem..it looked like someone had shot the bottom with a shot gun! Thousands of little blisters. Had the bottom blasted with walnut shells in the fall to remove bottom paint and open the blisters. It still was too wet in the spring. I had to tent the bottom and use that stuff that removes moisture from the air(I forget the name)for another couple of weeks before bottom work could begin. It's a pain in the a...ss job, but you have to have it done. Catalina had a lot of problems with this in the mid 80's. Good luck MPJ

J

John Nunnerley

Sandblast First.

We had our 79 C-30 sandblasted to remove the initial layers of blistering to see the extent of the dammage. It was quite deep and we shaved the hull, layer by layer untill no more blisters. We then dried the hull, checking every week properly with moisture meters. Re jelled and now seems fine. It costs, but at least you know you will have a clean bliter-free hull! Also saves rework. - Goodluck.

T

tony

real answer to your problem?

dan visit yachtsurvey.com (on the web} I also had problems with blisters.I done a lot of research and found this site gave me all the answers I needed. good luck.

M

Melody Miller

Barrier Coat?

Hey People: Isn't the (relatively) permanent fix to blisters a barrier coat? Once all blisters are repaired and a barrier put on, then one doesn't have to angst too often about developing more blisters? If that is true, I would certainly consider putting a barrier on if the year in which my boat was made was prone to blisters. Melody

L

LaDonna Bubak - Planet Catalina

Barrier Coat - be careful!

As Melody pointed out, you have to be extremely diligent in repairing ALL blisters before applying an epoxy barrier coat or they'll continue to grow. If everything is fixed and fair, slap some on & off you go! (Ok, it's a little more entailed than that but...) LaDonna

Status
Not open for further replies.