Catalina 30 Aluminum window frames

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 19, 2011
Catalina 30 Dana Point
Fellow Sailors,
Has anyone had any success cleaning up aluminum window frames on their boats. The frames on my Catalina 30 don't leak (lucky) but look old and grey. I thought about painting them but would rather clean them up. Any help would be much appreciated.

Aug 29, 2011
Catalina 27 mobile
grinding,polishing

Fellow Sailors,
Has anyone had any success cleaning up aluminum window frames on their boats. The frames on my Catalina 30 don't leak (lucky) but look old and grey. I thought about painting them but would rather clean them up. Any help would be much appreciated.
they can be polished to shine like new,use a fine stainless steel wire wheel on a 4 in grinder,i did mine and they look great.mine were pitted and had that white corrosion though.if u look really close u can see its kinda sanded rough,i thought of polishing it finer,but didnt.it looks good to me.dont use a regular steel wire wheel,it leaves tiny pieces of steel embeded in the aluminum and they rust,causing brown spots

Dec 11, 2008
Catalina 30 Solomons, MD
If I had them removed, I think I'd polish it on a bench top grinder, but not with a wire wheel...probably a fabric wheel of some sort.

Or maybe aluminum mag wheel polish (like Mother's) & one of those red foam spinny balls maybe.

Aug 25, 2011
Catalina 30 Marinette
Mothers aluminum polish did the trick when I had the aluminum frames - I upgraded to Cruising Concepts Acrylic Windows this year. If you don't remove the windows from the boat, make sure you tape around them, and use a wide tape - 3" or more - the black oxidation you will remove from the aluminum will stain your gelcoat. You can do it by hand but using a foam ball will make short work of it. For really tough spots I used to use a green scratch pad. Tape your windows if you are going to use a scratch pad or a fine wire wheel so you don't scratch the glass. Regards, Joe

Sep 19, 2011
Catalina 30 Dana Point
Thank you all for your suggestions. I will be on the job this weekend. I'll let you know how it turns out.
Best Regards,
Steve

Dec 11, 2008
Catalina 30 Solomons, MD
Joe...Great point....Personally, I would remove the aluminum frames and polish them in the comfort of my workshop/garage. The beer stays cold in the 120v fridge better that way!

That being said...if anyone has some frames still around...I'll take them off your hands! I prefer the aluminum frame look over the Cruising Concepts upgrade.

Jan 22, 2008
Fed up w/ personal attacks I'm done with SBO
Fellers, I hate to tell ya but if you polish those frames their luster won't last long. Typically aluminum components are anodized. There's clear anodizing and dyed in a variety of colors but three colors are most common: clear, black and a dark bronze-olive color.

I'm not well versed in the process but as I understand it anodizing is an electro chemical treatment that leaves a controlled oxide layer on the part. Polishing, sanding or burnishing removes that layer and exposes the raw metal to the elements. In time your shiny window frames will look like a tired old gray mast, maybe even pitted.

Last edited:
May 24, 2004
Catalina 34 Port of Everett, WA
To keep the frames shiny I would take them to a firm that does powder coating. They will sand blast and coat with the appropriate coatings to prevent corrosion. I had them powder coat my windlass shelf that is in my anchor locker and it came out very smooth with the scratches removed. It was inexpensive.

Dec 11, 2008
Catalina 30 Solomons, MD
Hi Neil....for those of us with the old style windows that have no interest in the 'screw-in-tinted plastic' solution...do you have a recommendation to preserve the finish? If we clean them up, can we protect them with something to keep them looking good?:confused: - i completely understand that blasting them with a wire wheel, etc, will ruin the anodizing of a 30+ years old finish.

Currently, I am thinking of an aluminum mag polish (like Mother's) to get my windows looking good, and then maybe 'sealing' them with a similar aluminum wax or similar.

I am open to better ideas.

Jan 22, 2008
Fed up w/ personal attacks I'm done with SBO
First, a disclaimer:
One of the advantages of living near a major city is I have a variety of industrial services at my fingertips so while my response to your question may seem simple to me, maybe it's not for others.

As you know, I'm very close to refurbishing my windows too. They don't leak yet but I'm not waiting until they do. I'm going to powder coat my aluminum frames white to match my Lewmar opening forward ports. I already have the Catalina Direct reseal kit, the 3/16" tinted Plexiglass and the loan of a spare set of windows to use while mine are out. I've also negotiated with a powder coater for the job so at this stage it's a matter of choosing when (soon!).

If I were going with the original look of aluminum frames I'd probably get them cleaned up as described earlier in the thread, then take them to be clear anodized, same as original.

I believe anything other that these two processes with turn into money lost and a constant maintenance problem. Just my opinion.

Sep 19, 2011
Catalina 30 Dana Point
Solution:

I tried all kinds of metal polishes. I tried scrub pads as well with little success. Turns out after 35 years there is too much Tarnish to rub off. I just couldn't bring myself to use a 4 1/2" grinder (Not brave enough). I didn't want to pull all the window off either because they don't leak.
I ended up buying a Dremel 4000 rotary tool and using their brillo buffing wheels. It worked great. I can easily see where I moved the tool back and fourth but it shines and looks 100 percent better. I plan to use "Alumaguard on the windows to block them going back to the old gray ugly look. Shoot me an email in a month or so and I will fill you in as to weather it was a success.

jrowan

Mar 5, 2011
O'Day 35 Severn River, Mobjack Bay, Va.
Sounds like polishing can do more harm than good. I have been wanting to replace my head & forward fixed portlights with the new Lewmar type as well, Neil. I even went as far as ordering them, & then chickened out at the price tag for 'em & retuned 'em last winter. Kids x-mas gifts had to come before the boat! I may order them again cause C 30's all need better ventilation.
I put a solar Nicco vent in the head, but its kinda of a wimpy fan motor.
Has anyone else replaced the second row of fixed portlights in the main cabin with opening ports? The rear two sets are too angled to replace with opening ones, but the forward set in the main cabin appear to be more rectangular & even in proportion.

Dec 11, 2008
Catalina 30 Solomons, MD
jrowan, I found the cheapest place to get the #2 Lewmar ports were at pyacht.com
Their website is terrible, but the windows were the cheapest there. I really like those #2 ports in the forward part of the boat.

I got mine a couple of years ago now, so who knows what's going on with the cheapest these days.

neil, thanks for the response. Perhaps we can work a deal where I could borrow the "spare set" of windows some day so I can re-furb mine?

Status
Not open for further replies.