Catalina 30 Alcohol stove

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 20, 2006
- - Atlantic City, NJ (1979 Catalina 30)
I have NEVER used an alcohol stove and I am looking to make more than hot dogs, hamburgers (on our rail side grill). I hear that lighting an alcohol stove can be a hair raising (or removing) experience. Any tips for the newbie? Colleen

Mar 17, 2006
- - Clear Lake, TX
Burnt fingers

Well Colleen, fingers are the only thing ever burnt on all the boats I have had. That being said we had friends with the newer alcohol stove top and oven that had the large plate size canisters that you pour alcohol into. The canisters work like large sterno cans. That was a great setup. The old pumpup pressure stoves sucked! I recently pulled my old one out and threw it away.........before I burned the boat up. No doubt some one will sing their praises but I don't have the patience to mess with them any longer. Grant

Oct 17, 2005
Catalina 30 Edmonton
How much for LPG?

I used the alcohol stove on a hunter boat and always thought propane was dangerous until I had a small fire. The alcohol burns with no flame so it's hard to see the fire. The cannisters even on the newer stoves are tricky. A tank of LPG lasts a long long time. I don't know the size or value of your boat but can you install a LPG stove? It may be cheaper in the long run. Sure is a lot less trouble too. Good luck whichever way you decide.

J

jd

stoves

Hi Have a look at the origo line up of cannister types . I have one and love it very easy to use and cheap to run.

Mar 20, 2006
- - Atlantic City, NJ (1979 Catalina 30)
Guess it's going to be an electric skillet for me!

We don't quite have the budget right now for a new stove, so I guess I can spare $40 for an electric skillet. We'll only cook at berth! Cruising with kids (picky eater kids at that) isn't going to be easy! Thanks.

B

Bob

Try Coleman Propane

On many sailboats I have owned with gimballed alcohol stoves, I have just left them in place placed my trusty Coleman two burner propane stove over them. Alcohol once ruled, but these days they can be a problem. Personnally, I avoid them! The Coleman two burner camping stove is sold at any K-Mart, Walmart or almost anywhere they sell camping stuff. They are not expensive. The bottles of propane are cheap and plentiful. The only issue with propane is that it is heavier then air and will sink, so be mindful of maintaining good circulation when using one. Many boats with deep bildges come with propane sniffers and alarms. I would consider this over the electric unit because you have to be plugged into your AC all the time (unless you have a converter). Take a look at the Coleman, they are really great. Regards Bob '88 30'

K

kris

stove

If your stove is pressure type, i say get rid of it. If it is origo type like in west marine catalog it is okay.

Status
Not open for further replies.