Catalina 30 1985 vs 1988 - is it worth it

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

AD

I had posted this to the general interest area, then I saw the Catalina 30 section so I am reposting. A current owner of a Catalina 27, I am looking at moving up to a 30 foot model and was wondering if it is worth spending more money to get a 1988 model vs. a 1985 model as there seems to be a big jump in price. Can anyone share what to watch out for when looking at a used Catalina 30 and if you think it's worth it to go with the 1986 and above year models (I think called the MKII). Thanks, AD

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 30 MKII Channel Islands Harbor, CA
We think so.

My wife and I considered the improvements to the MKII worth the cost. They include: lexan forward hatch instead of solid fiberglass, self-tailing winches (many earlier models had these too), tee-shaped cockpit specifically designed for wheel steering(even though many earlier non-tee cockpits had been fitted with wheel steering), the humped stern seat so you don't slide downhill when heeled, and (the real deal-breaker for my wife) opening ports. We have many friends who sail earlier model Catalina 30s and love them, so you're unlikely to go far wrong no matter what you decide. We're extremely happy with our '88 Catalina MKII. Gary

B

Bob

I have an 88 model

AD I was faced with the same decision as you regarding the Mark II model versus the earlier version(s). We looked at several 30's and concluded that the Mark II improvements warranted the investment. The interior sold us! The use of white countertop laminants, changed navigation station, quarterberth porthole, flat interior floor, a ton of teak, and the "U" shaped dinnette (table not attached to bulkhead) were just a few of the improvements on the Mark II that got our attention. Add the "T" cockpit, improved wiring harness, electrical panel, new battery storage area, wing keel, opening ports, larger diesel engine and so forth and your literally looking at an improved vessel. I am not knocking the earlier 30 models, as they are all wonderful; however, I believe the Mark II is the stand out model with many great improvments that kept up with contemporary tastes, safety and performance. The Mark II is still a 30 hull with the same standing rigging, subject to blistering and a challenge in heavy seas as all 30's are. Scroll up to "resources" then go to "Sailing Web Sites", then onto "Catalina 30 International Association", then "Technical Library" then onto "Catalina Library". Here you will see the chronology of model changes based on date and hull number. Very useful information! One thing to consider if looking at the Mark II is the change in the mast compression post support. The mast compression post is the Achilles heel of the Catalina 30 and if you find a Mark II with the improved compression unit (metal vs wood) based on hull number consider that important. We missed that improvement by just a few hulls!! Our model came with the Universal M-18 model diesel which produces 14 HP. For lake sailing its perfect but would be a challenge in fast tidal areas like coastal Georgia and the Carolina's. Consider your sailing ground and look at the power source as most Mark IIs came with the standard M-25 engine (22 hp). Consider too the benefit of a winged keel. We love our Mark II and all Catalina 30's for that matter. They are a big step up from the 27 regarding room all around. Good luck in your searches. Bob '88 Catalina 30 Mark II Breezin II Lake Lanier, GA

Status
Not open for further replies.