Catalina 275

Jul 22, 2013
Catalina Capri 22 Mk II Salem Harbor
WOW ! Catalina 275 Sport looks super. Just yesterday, the launch operator (who crews on a J-30) and I were talking about the plethora of J boats in the 27 to 29 ft range as desirable day sailor/racers and now Catalina is adding this to the mix. I wonder if it's single hand friendly, e.g., jib winches on combings:
looks like they're on the cabin top.
Wooster w/big boat ambitions

May 3, 2008
Catalina Capri 22 Half Moon Bay
Apparently it will have a self-tacking, 100% jib.
You can see in the drawing they show a track just forward of the mast.
And, of course, a bow-sprit for a spinnaker / gennaker.
If appropriately priced, it should be a good seller.
I like the looks of it...like a larger Capri :D

Kunzig

Jul 3, 2013
Not My Style - but it is exciting they are designing new hulls etc.!

I like the lines of the Tartan, that look of the Bow etc.

Rob

May 3, 2008
Catalina Capri 22 Half Moon Bay
I think the Tartan Fantail is a beautiful boat...aesthetically.
But in the quest for those beautiful lines, they compromised a lot of practicality. IMHO
-way too small of a cockpit ...where we spend most of our time.
-no anchor chain locker (something I wish the Capri had)
-way too much wood ...people that like lots wood haven't had a boat with a lot of wood.
-not trailerable which for me is a deal breaker.
-and well, there's the price.
But it is beautiful and I'm sure a sweet sailing little sailboat.

It will be interesting to see how the 275 fairs against some of the other small boats.
...but I'm so happy with the Capri 22, I just can't see anything wow-ing me into new-boat debt!!

Jul 3, 2013
aviatorjames said:
.....- way too much wood ...people that like lots wood haven't had a boat with a lot of wood.
Having come to Capri 22's from a boat with a fair amount of teak (C&C 30), I would have to agree. For me, the MKII CP 22 has just the right amount - nothing but the tiller!

May 23, 2007
Catalina Capri 22 Albany, Oregon
+1 :D

NewportNewsMike said:
aviatorjames said:
.....- way too much wood ...people that like lots wood haven't had a boat with a lot of wood.
Having come to Capri 22's from a boat with a fair amount of teak (C&C 30), I would have to agree. For me, the MKII CP 22 has just the right amount - nothing but the tiller!

shnool

Aug 10, 2012
WD Schock Wavelength 24 Wallenpaupack
That Cat 275 Sport promises to be a decent performing boat... But since it's NOT One Design, I'd say throw a huge Genoa on it, and use it to kill some PHRF races with it!

I've said it before (on SA), the design is promising, and is poised to put Catalina back on the map as a mainstream middle sized sailboat builder along the same lines of success as the 27 Catalina was when IT was released. I am very hopeful for their success on this boat, and we get to see more around the race course, and beer cans.

shnool

Aug 10, 2012
WD Schock Wavelength 24 Wallenpaupack
LOA 27’6”
LWL 26’7”
Beam 8’4”
Draft 4’5”
Draft (shoal) 3’5”
Sail area 360 sq. ft.
Displ. 4,200 lbs.
Ballast 2,000 lbs.

Do the math... that boat will earn the title sport!

SA/D =22
d/wl=98

My capri 25 is
SA/D = 21.5
d/wl = 189

So this 27 should be considerably faster than my Capri 25!