Catalina 27 Wheel Conversion

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Paul Tourville

I just purchased a 1976 Catalina 27 and would like to know if it is possible and how difficult to convert from tiller to wheel. Thanks for any help.

L

LaDonna Bubak - Planet Catalina

Why?

I'm sure it's possible to convert the older ones to wheel steering but why? You have so much more control and "feel" with the tiller, not to mention wheels tend to really get in the way of cockpit entertaining! If you do convert, just remember, you'll still need to have a tiller backup in case that wheel connection breaks. LaDonna

K

Kevin McGrath

Keep the Tiller

Keep the tiller. I had a 27 for 12 years and the tiller gives you more control. the mainsheet will get in the way if you install the wheel. the newer 27's have the mainsheet on the cabin top. I have a 36 now and I miss the feel of the tiller.

K

Keith

Wheel

A friend of mine had a 86 27 with a tiller. I had a 87 with a wheel. He said he wished he had the wheel like mine did so we did the conversion on his boat and the results were like the factory option. His wife before never got the hang of the tiller and so did not like taking the helm. After the conversion it was hard to pull her off of the wheel. In fact, when she was at the wheel, I could never catch up with him like I could when he was at the helm. (I would never tell him that) The conversion was alot of work but not out of the reach of doing yourself if you are generaly handy with tools and do not mind cutting holes in your boat. Edson makes a good conversion kit. My only real suggestion before starting is to find a boat of your general year that has a wheel already on it and use it for general comparison and measurements. That made it so much easier on the boat we did because I could check back and forth between our two boats to see if we were doing it right. It is not a cheep modification but my friend never regreted the choice to switch over. Some people like tillers, some like wheels, they both have very good strong points and I guess it comes down to personal perference.

Status
Not open for further replies.