Catalina 27 Tall vs. 270

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

Kevin Malone

I am considering making an offer on either a 1986 27 (Tall rig) or a 1994 270. Both fresh water boats in good shape w/good equipment. I would like some feedback re: the significant diffrences between the two wrt sailing qualities. The 27 has a bit more sail area, less beam, the single spreader rig and the older stlye rudder. Can any of you comment on relative difference in sailing qualities? Thanks much.

G

Gerhard Jinks

27 vs 270

I suspect Catalina intended the 270 to be a faster boat but the difference isn't great. I seem to be able to catch and pass the two 27s on my Lake easily enough but they both are Captained by less experienced sailors. The winches are on the cabin top and it is cumbersome going forward from the helm to change tacks. This probably isn't much of a problem on bigger bodies of water. Ilike the tillers found on most 27s rather then the wheel steering I have on my 270. The wheel is rather stiff which helps when you need to go forward and change tacks. If you are strictly concerned about sailing qualities, you probably get more bang for the buck with the 27TR. The 270 is a mini yacht with equipment that seems to far exceed the 27s which justifies the difference in price. If you sail with a family with children, go for the 270 for the private aft cabin and swim platform alone. I'm looking forward to reading about others comments regarding comparative sailing qualities.

D

Darrell

C28

I'd go with a C28... they are suppose to sail circles around the 27. Just remember the# 1 rule of buying a boat, always buy bigger that what you think you need. Personally, i'b go for a C30, C310, or C320.

M

Mike

28 vs 27

Darrell, Where did you here that the 28 is supposed to sail circles around the 27? I have a 28mkII and I love it to death but I think a 27 would beat me. The 27 (and 30!) are much lighter boats and both have standard PHRF ratings lower than the 28.

G

Gary Conn

27TR vs 270

My advice: Take the 27TR. The 270 (IMHO) is just a gawdy (and pricey)upgrade with too many bells and whistles for a 27 foot hull. I have a 1980 27TR and its a great pocket cruiser and local PHRF racer (if you're not too serious). A wheel on anything less than 34' looks silly...a 27' boat should be controlled by a tiller. The 1986 Catalina 27TR is a real beauty and very much boat for the $$$. You won't regret owning one, and when you're ready to move up, its very easy to unload. Good Luck.

A

Alan

27TR vs 270

I purchased my 270LE,wing keel,new 1995.We have phrf raced and never beaten by a 27 or 28.The 270 is very good in 10 to 20 knot winds.Lighter winds its not as fast.The wheel leaves more room in the cockpit while under sail.Adding two aft winches makes single hand easier.A very good 2 person boat.Why? Nice head system,Walk on transom, Wheel steering, Aft jump seats, Hot water/pressurized,9'4'Beam, Large cock pit,3'6' draft,Private aft berth,Propane system w/stove,ALL Stainless steel exterior/NO TEAK,Easy to sail.Yes I want a 320,I have raced a 320 w/ a friend for 4 years and have beaten catalina`s 25,27,270,28,30,34/"J" boats/Tartans 28, 31 /Hunter29.5 and others.But bigger and faster is`nt always better.I like to cruise w/ my 270 w/ my wife and sometimes another couple.It does the job.And looks good too.

J

John Wilcox Jr.

27 Tall vs. 270

I own a 86' 27 tall rig. It is a wonderful boat. I haven't been on a 270. The 270 seems a little pricey to me. However, both would be a good choice. My encouragement is to take your time and check them both out. And buy the one that fits your needs and/or budget. Good Luck !

J

John Burgess

270 Great Mini Crusier

Kevin, I've owned both Catalina 27 and 270. The 270 is the way to go. if the boat your looking at is equipped with an auto pilot it will be one of the greatest singlehanded boats around. The Autohelm A/P has an auto-tack feature which makes singlehanding a hoot! The boat is fast and if it has a cruising spinnaker it will provide you great sailing adventures around northern Lake Michigan. We have 2 adults and 4 kids in our crew and we terrorized ports all along little traverse bay with our 270. The swim platforms, observation seats and wide aft sections give you terrific room for a boat of its size, you can cruise for for about a week and not kill each other. Last year our kids grew so tall we were "nose to toes" so we upgraded to a new 320 which is sensational, but on the great eveningsm when you want to go out for a quick sail I still miss the ease and fun of the 270. Buy it now, the ice is gone, we'll see you on the water.

D

Darrel Harrison

For Alan of Sandusky Harbor

First, to the origonal poster: I would strongly recommend the 270 over older 27s, its a very different boat, better suited to crusing. A very nice layout with efficent use of space. Second, to Alan: where did you mount a second set of winches? What type? I'm considering this for a spinnaker upgrade. edh4029@aol.com

Status
Not open for further replies.