Catalina 27 max RPMs Universal M-18

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tim Haibach

I'm not sure my throttle cable is set properly. I am able to reach hull speed at 2500-2600 rpms on calm water but that is as far as my throttle handle goes before hitting the wheel pedestal. Do you other C27 owners have the same setup? The way it is now leaves the last 4-5 hp inaccessible and could come in handy when powering to windward in waves. I have the Universal M-18.

J

John/Illinois

Check Travel First

Tim, I also have an M18 and had the same concern. To be sure it's a cable issue, with the engine off, go below and watch the travel as a second person moves the lever through it's full travel. If it truely is not making the throtle move to the stop, loosen the clamp and adjust the cable. I will be interested to here your resolve since my M18 will only go to about 2600 and is fully pushing the throtle plate to it's stop. I have hull speed at 2300 and find that the next 300 is of little use. I feel the 1985 and up M18 will not go to the specification of 3200.

Feb 22, 2007
- - Bohemia River
Mine too.

I have an 87 C-27 with the M-18 and mine maxs at about 2,500 as well. I've never inspected the cable but it's on the list of things to do, as the lever has some sort of tension on it that causes it to pull back when pushed over 1,500 rpms unless held.

Jan 26, 2007
Norsea 27 Cleveland
Internal governor

There is an internal system that delivers fuel for max rpm under normal load that is taking you to hull speed or thereabouts. If the engine rpms drops due to heavy seas or other load, but the throttle position doesn't change, more fuel is delivered. If you're interested, I can scan the manual page and post it. The key part is a ball bearing whose position depends on the current engine rpms. That's my understanding anyway. I've never had a problem pushing the boat as fast or faster than is comfortable.

Jun 5, 2004
Catalina 27 Stone Harbor NJ
Tachometer & prop

I've got an 84 Catalina 27 with the Universal M-18 diesel. I have also found that my throttle handle is up against the pedestal guard at full throttle. But my engine does reach full rpm (3200). I normally cruise somewhere in the 1600-2200 rpm range, depending upon conditions, etc. Once in a while, I run it at full throttle briefly to get the engine as hot as possible, and burn off any carbon deposits. In addition to checking your throttle travel visually at the engine, you may also wish to check your tachometer, too. When I got my boat, the tach would only show 2200 at full throttle--it turned out to be improperly adjusted. Also, what propeller do you have on the boat? If the pitch or diameter is too great, it may be preventing your engine from reaching its full rpm, as well. Randy

T

Tim Haibach

Status Update 5/24

I haven't had time yet to check the throttle cable (been out sailing don't ya know) but definitely this weekend. My 1985 #5946 has the same factory prop that came with the boat so I don't know the diameter or pitch. If someone could post that, it would be of great help. I don't remember mention of it in the owner's manual. Now with the engine in neutral and the throttle wide open at the dock, the surveyor found (I watched him) that the tach was off too high by 200RPM. So in neutral with no load, when my tach reads 3,000 I am actually at 3200RPM or max engine rating. Of course even If I could reach this under load, you don't want to push your engine 100% except in an emergency to prolong life. I would maybe take it to 3,000 (2800 with my inaccurate tach) for 5-10 min to burn out extra carbon. So far underway the throttle lever hits the guard wide open at 2500-2600 and I think I was making 6.5 kts over ground with no current. This led to diesel butt over prolonged motoring to bring my boat up from CT in fog and wind on the nose. So I've found Harmony likes 1800-2000 (actually 2000-2200 if my tach was right) to cruise at 5kts. So 80% of 3200 rated engine RPM is 2560 which matches the upper end of the recommended cruising range in the engine manual 2100-2600. I've read in Nigel Calder's book that if a prop is sized correctly, you should be able to make rated engine rpm with the throttle wide open. Now I'm not sure if that is loaded or in neutral but I'd wager on loaded. So if you normally cruise at 2100-2600, this leaves you with some reserve power to push you through wind and waves while still being able to maintain x knots or whatever your planned cruise speed is. It just so happens that 5kts is 80% of 6.25, our Catalina 27 hull speed. So on dead flat water during slack tide (or on a lake) we all should be making 5 kts at 2560RPM with throttle lever room left to reach 3200 before hitting the bloody pedestal. That is if our cable is reaching the forward stop and our prop is correctly sized/pitched. I also have the problem of loosing throttle tension past 1500RPM without holding it. I use a sail tie to wrap around the pedestal guard and the topmost part of the throttle lever. This way in a pinch I can slide off the tie if I need to. Anyway, I'm going to experiment this weekend and provide my findings on my Catalina 27 Yahoo Group. My enine also runs a little on the cool side I'd guess around 150 +/- 3 degrees which is well below the low end of 165-195 normal range of the M-18 manual. Is everyone else experiencing this?

Status
Not open for further replies.