Catalina 27 Inspection

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chuck Gabrielson

I put an offer down on a 1973 Catalina contingent on my final inspection. I have looked over the boat and there are no blisters; the interior was bone dry around the windows; new head and plumming; running lights and electrical OK; the motor is in good shape; the standing rigging, bright work and teak are in great shape. Is there anything specific I should be looking for on this model that I may have missed??

D

Dave

Sails

Age and condition of the sails would be my suggestion....Older stretched out sails need to be replaced. A good main and jib set up will set you back about $3500. Good luck

L

LaDonna Bubak - Planet Catalina

Things to look for

Sails are important, but you can always find used sails (I found my "new" main here). I also have a 73 & did my own survey. I read up on what to look for - go to your library & check out a couple surveying books, they're invaluable. Check the keel bolts. Some rust shouldn't be a problem (expect it in this old of a boat) but if they're completely unrecognizable as bolts, be wary. Outboard motor, I'm assuming? That's a lot easier to do your own survey on cuz it's not so integral. The sailtrack on the toerails are notorious for leaking and are a complete b*&#@ to remove & rebed - mine leaks (the only leak on the boat) a little but I'd rather live with that tiny bit of water than deal with those impossible fittings! You might want to check the bulkheads where the chainplates are connected. If there were any leaks in the past, it could have softened the "wood" and made it spongy, which could be a potential problem. Walk all over the deck to check for soft spots indicating delamination. Check the thru hulls for any corrosion. Bilge pump? That's all I can think of off the top of my head. Have fun - she's a super fun boat! LaDonna

R

Robert Fischer

Mast base

Check the deck at the base of the mast, for cracks, or evidence of rot in the cabin top core. Damage may show up as the area having a mild concave shape. (it should be convex to displace water) Check the area from inside the cabin as well.

B

Bob Camarena

Check for Upgrades

On a boat that age there are some factory recommended upgrades that you should look for such as stainless steel spreader brackets (instead of original cast aluminum) and upgraded shroud to chainplate fittings. Catalina sells kits and can probably give you a list of the most common upgrades. They're not expensive and shouldn't detract from a purchase decision but should be added to the "to-do" list and used in price negotiation.

M

Matt Taylor

Just found one myself

Hi Chuck, I just bought a 1972 Cat 27, Hull #342. She is pretty rough but I am looking forward to putting her back together. My email address is gstpcpas@gulftel.com I would like to stay in touch as you come along with yours, good luck. Matt Taylor

C

cllint pickett

catalina 27

check the keel bolts for corrosion at the nuts. my keel nuts were almost non-existant

Status
Not open for further replies.