Catalina 27 ignition

Aug 1, 2020
Catalina 27 Hartwell, Ga
My 1985 Catalina 27 has a Universal diesel. I used to turn it on with the key and then press the “glow button” for 30 seconds, then pull the “Pull” switch to start. A few years ago, I found that the key turned all the way to the right instead of the “Pull switch” would turn the engine to start it! Now, it starts that way only after a few tries and it has to be turned HARD right! What do I need to do to get it back to the easier key ignition start? (I’m wondering if the key ignition contact points are worn and I need a new key ignition?). Thanks!

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
It seems you have a Key Switch that engages the starter. You are now complaining that the Key Switch is erratically crancking the engine. There is a common malady that affects the transmission of power from control panel to starter solenoid irrespective of whether you have a push button or key switch activating the starter. Drop in voltage due to old wiring and bad connectors are commonly the culprits and besides rewiring the most common solution is adding an auxiliriary solenoid. Usually when the switch fails it will not work at all but the possibility of a bad switch cannot be eliminated. When you say you have to "Turn Hard" is it because the switch seems to be jammed or because it may just seem to have worked at times? There are many postings in the archives about erratic starting and good explanations about the possibel solutions.

Aug 1, 2020
Catalina 27 Hartwell, Ga
Actually, I enjoying just using the key for ignition, but thanks for your reply. (The wiring IS 35 years old!!!)

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Actually, I enjoying just using the key for ignition, but thanks for your reply. (The wiring IS 35 years old!!!)
I understand, was just asking if the switch seems to be jammed or if you are just turning it hard thinking it may make better contact? If the switch turns easy as usual chances your problem lies in the 35 year old wiring or connectors. Old wiring can cause a drop in voltage or fluctuations that may fail to activate the solenoid randomly. Good luck.

Aug 1, 2020
Catalina 27 Hartwell, Ga
Thank you for replying. To see if the “Pull”
Knob” would still cause ignition, I just tried and it will not pull out, but for an inch! (As I recall, it is 2-2 1/2 inches long!) I figure I need to get behind it and see what looks wrong, on my next trip to the lake. Thanks again..