Catalina 250WB

Aug 8, 2019
Catalina 250WB Clear Lake TX
Hey folks,

New here and to sailing. Looking at getting my first boat soon however is needs to be lightweight and trailer-able. 25 to 26ft range that has a decent size cabin for 2 adults and a 13 and 10 year old. It seems like the 250WB and the MacGregor 26x fit the bill. I have been going back and forth about what I like about each one it it seems with the Mac I get more head room and a bigger motor. With the Cat I get better quality or so it seems. Just looking for some advice on how well the Cat handles and if it is a good choice for a starter boat.

Thanks!

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
I started with a 25' O'Day, loved that old boat but didn't fit for 2 adults and 2 kids very well. My kids are 13 and 15 now and we went up to a Catalina 310 and it is perfect. I happen to think if I had started with a Mac 26X we would still have it as it has a lot of advantages for family fun, cabin being one of them.

Jul 7, 2013
Catalina 34 856 hamilton
having owned a 250WB, four people (even with 2 as kids) is going to be tight. one thing that you might not readily realize is the WB model has less cabin height then the wing keel. and on a 25ft every inch counts. because of the reduced height the rear berth is more of a coffin then a berth and not enjoyable to sleep in or even to get into or out of. having said that, if you're just day sailing, it'll be fine, but if you plan to spend multiple nights/weekends out i think you'll find it cramped.

otherwise the 250wb is a fine boat, a little tender, but a good starter.

Aug 8, 2019
Thanks for the replies. I closed the deal on the 250. It needs a good exterior cleaning, but everything else looks perfect with the exception of a small tear in the jib.
Baot Starboard Side.jpg

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
Congrates! If the sails are original I'd put the money toward new ones.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Congrats on the "new" boat! What are you towing with? Practical Sailor has a nice write-up on them, including towing

Aug 8, 2019
Congrats on the "new" boat! What are you towing with? Practical Sailor has a nice write-up on them, including towing

For long hauls going to use my parents truck. I sold off the travel trailer 1.5 years ago and then got rid of my 2500 for a Jeep Wrangler. Will use that to move the boat 50 yard from stoarge to the dock. Place it is at is a mast up storage place so win win for me. Thanks for the link!

Spent the day compound waxing and cleaning. I am at 1.5 coats of compound wax. The port side with 2 coats is really starting to come back to life. All the rigging is in excellent shape so it is really just finishing the waxing and resupplying it(first aid, flares, etc) and it will be ready for the water. Also got the motor started and it runs good.