Catalina 250 Wing Keel or Water Ballast

Jul 29, 2013
Catalina 22 Michigan
Hi all,

I'm looking for a little guidance on a Catalina 250 MKII. I currently have a C22 Swing Keel that I keep docked at my parents lake house that I am at usually every weekend in the summer which is about 100 miles away from where I live. My problem is I'm not the only one there, and there are usually 14 people and 4 dogs as well for a 3 bedroom house. Each family gets a room, and I get the porch with my significant other and her two kids.

Now you might be asking what the heck this has to do with a sailboat purchase. The reason is simple, seeing as it is cramped, id like to start sleeping on the sailboat, and the C22 is just a tad too tight for a 6'6 guy like myself. I understand the Wing Keel has 5" more of headroom than the WB version, however, our dock sits where there is about 25" to 28" of water.

So docking the wing keel version would be out of the question, but am curious how much draft the WB version takes with the ballast filled with water. I see documentation saying it draws 1'8" but I assume thats with no ballast.

If I were to purchase the Wing Keel version, I would keep it at a slip closer to home on Lake Michigan so I could take it out in the evenings and weekends but would want to get a trailer for it just to save on the Winterization fees as I have a warm building to store it at in the winter, and just keep my C22 at our lake house for the times i'm up there. I have an 2010 F-150 with a tow package and it looks like my truck can handle up to 8,100lbs with a weight distribution system.

If I were to purchase the Waterballast version, I could potentially keep it at the lake and trailer it a few times to lake Michigan, and use it as a sleeping quarters so to speak to get out of the over crowded house. However, if I purchase the Wing keel, I can be out on lake michigan more with a true keel boat and not be up at the lake house as much, and have more headroom.

Any recomendations from Wing Keel or WB owners or insight would be greatly appreciated! =)

Sanman

Aug 28, 2006
- - Birmingham, AL
I looked at the 250 w/b but ended up with a Hunter 26 w/b. I found the Hunter to be plenty stable for near coastal work. Her B&R rig is balanced very well, sails great on main alone, and reefs easy, the stepping system is simple,The Draft is approx 2' (almost knee deep) WITH ballast, and the swing keel provides almost a 6ft draft, when needed but still allows the boat to be beached. I would look at Hunters as well, they are IMHO a little bit roomier than the 250. we had another couple who have a MAC 26x spend a weekend with us on the boat, and he is 6'4", they slept in the queen sized aft berth very comfortably and said we had twice the space of their boat.
I know this is a Catalina forum,(and I now own a Catalina 30) but having also had a Catalina 22, AND a Hunter 26 W/B and being over 6ft tall... I figure I can identify with your dilemma. Good Luck!

Jul 29, 2013
Catalina 22 Michigan
The Hunter 26 WB does look like a good viable option. One question, do you know the head room in it by chance? Does 5'7 sound about right?

Sanman

Aug 28, 2006
- - Birmingham, AL
That sounds about right. My wife is 5'8 and she could stand up comfortably. I had to stoop a bit. But with turtle back propped up and the camper cover on at anchor, there was plenty of room in the cabin for me.

Jul 29, 2013
Catalina 22 Michigan
The biggest drawback I see with the Hunter 260 is the beam on it for trailering at nearly 9'. I would legally have to get a permit for it in three states. I literally live on the Border of IN/IL about 30 minutes south of the lake. Our lake house ls just a half mile over the border in MI. Where I store my boat, is just over the border in IL. So I might have to knock the 260 out of the running for that fact alone.

Sanman

Aug 28, 2006
- - Birmingham, AL
The biggest drawback I see with the Hunter 260 is the beam on it for trailering at nearly 9'. I would legally have to get a permit for it in three states.
Well, there's always that...I never had an issue with it, We trailered all over the South East, but I guess the Yankee states are different. :laugh:
Whatever you get; though, Good luck and good sailing! The search is half the fun!