Catalina 25 swing keel winch replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 8, 2011
Catalina 25 Long island
Does anyone have any experience in replacing the winch on a Catalina 25 swing keel? What would a fair "boatyard" price be for this job. I bought the boat last August and although serviceable the winch is the original (1984) and it shows some rust and flaking.

May 21, 2006
catalina 25, 30 montauk / manhattan
replaced mine a couple of years ago. ordered the new one from catalina and had a friend do the job. just had to pay the yard a small fee to do the short haul and hoist/lower a couple of times.

assuming the yard would allow you to do the work can certainly pass on any specifics

Mar 8, 2011
Catalina 25 Long island
I think I can make arrangements to have it pulled at a friends yard for a minimal cost. I would plan on replacing the winch as well as the cable and related hardware, including the hose and clamps. What is the timeline for a fairly handy do it yourselfer?

May 21, 2006
catalina 25, 30 montauk / manhattan
i think it only took an hour or 2.. we installed new winch, cable etc.

Mar 8, 2011
Catalina 25 Long island
Excellent thanks for the info. So even if I'm not able to do it myself, my marina charges 95 an hour for labor so at least I know what I'm looking at.

Dec 11, 2008
catalina C27 stillwater
For a swinging keel, the rest of the goodies are oh-so easy to replace. If I were pulling the boat to replace the winch I would almost certainly go ahead and replace EVERYTHING. The keel cable, turning ball, hose and hose clamps are readily available and take no time to swap out.

Do yourself the favor, replace it all and enjoy the safety and satisfaction of knowing you have a totally brand new keel raising system.

Mar 8, 2011
Catalina 25 Long island
That's exactly what I'm doing Phil. I can sail with peace of mind knowing that it was replaced. Its also good for my own maintenance records knowing exactly when it was all done.

Dec 11, 2008
catalina C27 stillwater
That's exactly what I'm doing Phil. I can sail with peace of mind knowing that it was replaced. Its also good for my own maintenance records knowing exactly when it was all done.

Super! I sweat the small stuff sometimes, and like you want to know everything was done right, much to the frustration of my pocketbook.

Welcome to the Catalina family! Having owned a few different sailboats over the years, I can tell you that the community and the level of factory support makes a huge difference in owner satisfaction!

I am wrenching on my 3rd Catalina this year, and I have to say with reasonable certainty that as I continue to "add two feet" it will be within the Catalina family.

Mar 8, 2011
Catalina 25 Long island
Thanks so much Phil. Some of my fondest memories are sailing with my grandparents and my aunt as a youngster. Part of my enthusiasm of owning my own boat is being able to share it with my girlfriends 15 year old son who is very excited about it. Thus insuring this wonderful hobby will be passed down to another generation.

Oct 6, 2008
Hunter, Island Packet, Catalina, San Juan 26,38,22,23 Kettle Falls, Washington
You probably already know this BUT DO NOT use a boat trailer winch in place of the Catalina winch. They look very close to the same but operate much differently. A boat trailer winch will drop the keel with catastropic results.
Ray

Mar 8, 2011
Catalina 25 Long island
Thanks Ray. I appreciate the heads up. I am ordering the one from catalinadirect.com which has the clutch and brake in it.

Oct 30, 2010
Catalina 25 Middle River Maryland
Replacement of all the swing keel lifting parts will give you piece of mind and a starting point for the next replacement of the ball and cable.
The replacement of the cable and ball will take only an hour the next time.
When you crank the keel down until the cable is slack to sail, make sure you then crank it up a turn or two to make the keel tight. I find that that keeps the cable in place on the winch and in the right place when you need to crank it up.

Mar 8, 2011
Catalina 25 Long island
Thanks Atlanta that was exactly my thoughts. I replaced the lifting winch the other day and the old drum had a huge override in it. I had to take the old drum off and cut a good three feet off the old cable lol. I reattached the old cable to the new winch as I can't do the new cable, ball and volcano tube until the yard can give me a lift. There is still plenty of the old cable left for me to lower the keel enough to put the new one on. What is the order of things once I'm ready to do the cable? Do I do the turning ball first, then cable then tube? Or do I have to have the cable passed through before I do the ball? If I could I'd like to have everything done so when they lift me it's just swapping out the cable.

Mar 8, 2011
Catalina 25 Long island
And also do I do the turning ball from the top inside the cabin or from the bottom under the boat with two guys one to hold it up one to put the pin in

Dec 11, 2008
catalina C27 stillwater
And also do I do the turning ball from the top inside the cabin or from the bottom under the boat with two guys one to hold it up one to put the pin in
I found it quite easy to install from the top. If you are nervous about dropping it, fasten a small loop on the end of a piece of twine to hold the turning ball. Lower it with the twine with one hand and line it up and install teh pin with the other hand. After installation, remove the loop of twine and finish it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.