Catalina 25 Pop Top

LTDT

Aug 2, 2019
Catalina Catalina 25 Tall Rig Henderson, NC
OK, this may be a dumb question...the Cat 25 manual says not to sail with the Pop Top extended, yet I have seen several pics where the boat is underway and the top is up???? Has anyone tried to permanently replace the Pop Top with a solid structure?? having that additional headroom all the time would really make a difference as we will be living aboard. I know it would likely be a major refit, but that is what we are going to do anyway, what's one more project!

Thoughts??

Mikem

Dec 20, 2009
Hunter 466 Bremerton
The reason for not sailing with the pop top up has to do with water integrity. Should the boat suffer a knockdown with the pop top up it would immediately founder and sink. Has a solid structure been built before. We had one for 7 plus years and I never saw that done on the Catalina Capri 25 forum. That solid structure would make it difficult to see while at the tiller in the cockpit. If budget and moorage permit a Catalina 27 would certainly provide more room especially if you plan to live aboard.

LTDT

Aug 2, 2019
Catalina Catalina 25 Tall Rig Henderson, NC
Thanks, appreciate your input! And yes a 27 would be better....but I have a 25 so I have to make do I guess.

Jul 6, 2013
Catalina 30TR, Atomic 4 2480 Milwaukee
I had a C22 with the snap-on cover, which was great for overnights on the mooring. But I would never sail with the top up because of the possibility of an accidental collapse.
I’ve seen a C22 with a plywood panel on each side, supporting the top. It would at least take care of an accidental collapse. Very basic, but you could make it much more elegant without a major refit.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Should the boat suffer a knockdown with the pop top up it would immediately founder and sink.
You don't need a knockdown. All you need is serious water over the bow and into the interior. My friend left his fwd hatch open crossing SF Bay one "calm" day, hit a ferry wake and spent the entire weekend cleaning up his cushions. Not fun, 'cuz his wife was coming and that's where they slept!!!
Cushions do NOT like salt water, takes forever to clean up.
Even "regular" water is not fun when things get soaked. We had cushions and indoor/outdoor carpeting on our C25 saloon.
As benign as any day seems, my fwd hatch and saloon hatch are always dogged shut, even when it's hot out.
I can always open them when I arrive.
We had a pop top C25 with a canvas enclosure for 13 years. Great boat, neat feature. Ya don't need standing headroom when you're sailing.

Good luck.

Oct 3, 2011
Anam Cara Catalina 310 Hull #155 155 Lake Erie/Catawba Island
On our 25 we had a cover for the pop top also BUT NEVER sailed with anything up not even the forward hatch....
aside from not wanting a wet bunk, its very unsafe!