catalina 22 trans atlantic crossing

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

Kevin Mckee

I am interested in doing a trans atlantic crossing in 2007 in a 1973 catalina 22. First, I would like to know if there is any intrest viewing of a nightly internet vidio feed of the voyage. Second, are there any corporations that would sponsor the voyage. And third, does anyone know if it's been done before?

S

Scott

hmm..

I don't think you will have much luck getting corporate sponsorship unless you can come up with a better hook than just being suicidal enough to cross in a really small boat;) Nightly video might be overkill("and here's another wave...") unless it gets really exciting. You might consider just keeping a daily log and emailing via SSB to someone onshore who can update a website for you. Best. Scott

Jul 2, 2004
- - 29 Palms
Small boats on the Atlantic

Well, I don't know if a Catalina 22 has done it before - but I imagine it must have. Ellen MacArthur did the Round Britain in a 21' Corribee and raced in the Mini Transat (a Transatlantic race designed for 21' boats). The Mini Transat, I believe, goes yearly or biannually? Can't remember - though I do remember from MacArthur's book that they lose one entrant everytime they run it. In any event - it is done on regular basis - don't think a Cat 22 would be too competitive in the Mini Transat - but getting across the Atlantic in a small boat? It can be done...though I'm sure as hell not doing it! Best of luck.

D

David Williams

Interesting Story!

This is an interesting story: http://www.wingo.com/billsvoyage/technotes.html I think that it may be possible to sail across the Atlantic on a C-22, but in the equatorial regions, and with a few modifications to the boat.

Status
Not open for further replies.