Hi all -
Looking for some advice here. Will be purchasing a new car soon. I currently have a 2021 RAV4 plug-in hybrid. My towing is limited to moving my Catalina 22 sport on a trailer within the boatyard (I don't have any planned needs to go out on roads at all) and back her down the ramp and launch the boat. And, when we are done boating, pull her out on the trailer and park it in the boat yard. With the hybrid drive this car has PLENTY of torque and the gas engine doesn't even kick in to pull the boat out - the electric does the job.
For other reasons, it might be nicer to have a more comfy car (i.e., Lexus) for long road trips (no trailer) and we will be getting along with just one car. We do 90% of our driving in town on the electric range of the RAV4 - I only buy gas three or four times a year.
Here are my options
2026 RAV4 plug-in hybrid. Towing rating 3,500# Peak system output 304 hp (=226.693 kW)
2026 Lexus NX plug-in hybrid. Towing rating 2,000# Peak system output 225KW
2026 Lexus RX plug-in hybrid. Towing rating 3,500# Peak system output 302 hp (=225.201 kW)
I really don't need the size of the RX, but I am just baffled by the much reduced towing capacity of the NX, compared to the RAV4 and RX. My understanding is that all three of these vehicles have essentially the same powertrain. So what gives?
My C22 on a trailer, with a motor, etc. is clearly more than 2,000#. But if the NX has the same power - it might be fine for my needs. I would NOT take a >2,000# boat on a trailer on the road with a car rated for only 2,000#.
But just to put it up and down the ramp?
Would welcome your thoughts!
Looking for some advice here. Will be purchasing a new car soon. I currently have a 2021 RAV4 plug-in hybrid. My towing is limited to moving my Catalina 22 sport on a trailer within the boatyard (I don't have any planned needs to go out on roads at all) and back her down the ramp and launch the boat. And, when we are done boating, pull her out on the trailer and park it in the boat yard. With the hybrid drive this car has PLENTY of torque and the gas engine doesn't even kick in to pull the boat out - the electric does the job.
For other reasons, it might be nicer to have a more comfy car (i.e., Lexus) for long road trips (no trailer) and we will be getting along with just one car. We do 90% of our driving in town on the electric range of the RAV4 - I only buy gas three or four times a year.
Here are my options
2026 RAV4 plug-in hybrid. Towing rating 3,500# Peak system output 304 hp (=226.693 kW)
2026 Lexus NX plug-in hybrid. Towing rating 2,000# Peak system output 225KW
2026 Lexus RX plug-in hybrid. Towing rating 3,500# Peak system output 302 hp (=225.201 kW)
I really don't need the size of the RX, but I am just baffled by the much reduced towing capacity of the NX, compared to the RAV4 and RX. My understanding is that all three of these vehicles have essentially the same powertrain. So what gives?
My C22 on a trailer, with a motor, etc. is clearly more than 2,000#. But if the NX has the same power - it might be fine for my needs. I would NOT take a >2,000# boat on a trailer on the road with a car rated for only 2,000#.
But just to put it up and down the ramp?
Would welcome your thoughts!