Catalina 22 Swing Keel

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Ron

Can anyone tell me if swing keels are problematic? Are there through hull fittings associated with them? If so can they leak? I am considering purchasing a C22 with a such a keel and noticed that the steel cable used to crank up the keel has snapped. Is this an easy repair? Is it costly? How do you know when a keel has to be replaced? Thanks for your advice

J

Jay Beery

Re:Swing Keel

Dear Ron, I just purchased a 1977 Cat 22 myself. From what I have found so far the worst part is getting the keel down to change the fitting and cable. The cable comes up through a hose to the winch. If the hose or hose clamp comes loose the boat will sink! Something to think about. I hate to say it because I am a major do-it-yourselfer, but your best bet is to have a yard fix it for you. The parts are cheap, but you have to get the boat up far enough off the trailer to drop the keel far enough to get to the cable. Good luck!

M

Mark Berte'

Keel notes...see handbook

I also have a 1977 Cat22. I have not refurbished the Keel as yet, I have not had any problems. this boat also may have spent a lot of time trailered and didn't get the wear or stress. The most information I have read is in the Catalina 22 Owner's Handbook. I recently ordered one(1-800-959-7245) it is undoubtedly the best $10 I've ever spent.They discuss the keel assembly, its parts and advice. give it a try.

B

Brad Elbein

Swing low ...

Swing keels can be a problem, and there have been occassional posts here about various tragedies where boats have sunk because of this or that problem. However, no matter what thing you talk about on a sailboat, SOMEONE knows a story about how it malfunctioned and sunk the boat. The bottom line is that the C22 has been around since something like the Jurassic period (or at least the 60s) and they have basically been very sound. This is a great, great boat. You should buy one. There are great advantages to the swing keel: it helps you adjust boat trim down-wind (which I can't on my C30); it helps you pull up on a beach (ditto). I love the C22 and am a huge fan ... the only reason I sold mine this last year was that we'd bought a C30.

T

Tony Z

MY TWO CENTS

I had an early (i think # 12X) C-22. The method of installing the swing keel was a single through bolt that went through the hull trunk. This design has serrious structural issues. The boat can split it's self apart like it's own can opener. The newer ones have a pivot point attached to a plate, muck better. Keep away from the early ones. Swing keel is real convenient but does have limitations.

J

Jack Simmons

the only problem

I had a Cat 22, and would have kept it except that I moved from New Orleans. Now I wish I had it again. Still, the only down side to this boat is the swing keel. It is a great pity that Catalina didn't make more of the fixed keel boats. The most important part of your boat is that keel, and the damn thing does tend to break - the crank, the cable, the pin... In the years I owned my Cat 22, the only serious problems I ever had were related to that damn keel. The boat never sank, but it did take two $250.00 visits to the marina to keep it from taking on water. After $500.OO, it was as sound as could be, but for how long?

Status
Not open for further replies.