Catalina 22 Swing Keel

Apr 10, 2022
Catalina 22 Bay
I have recently purchased this Catalina 22. The swing keel is very rusty. I plan on replacing the swing keel bolt. I'd also like to somehow take the keel off and take the rust off and put some kind of paint on it. Do you have any suggestions on the best way to do this?

277295943_663130818277090_3266001285421034708_n.jpg

AaronD

Aug 10, 2014
Catalina 22 9874 Newberg, OR / Olympia, WA
...the best way to do this?
You may not like the answer, but you asked about "the best way". There is a pretty standard approach, but it's not simple. I haven't yet done my own.

@pclarksurf did his and documented it here at SBO:

And Stingy Sailor has a series of 5 posts starting here: Refinish Your Swing Keel for Best Performance – Part 1: Removing

There are other links and accounts, but those two are pretty comprehensive.

Jul 13, 2015
Catalina 22 #2552 2252 Kennewick, WA
And I can attest to the fact that I learned how to do it from those that had gone before me-- so spending some time searching the SBO archive for "keel" and "keel refurbishing" will give you hours of material to digest.

Come up with a plan of attack that works for your budget/ resources and future plans for the boat and then ask away-- this group will definitely be here to give sage and salient advice along the way.

Sep 23, 2021
Catalina 22 Davis Island Yacht Club
This was the first improvement I made to our "Boat Angel" boat. I read all the stuff I could find. Liked Stingy's approach. Things I am glad I learned include:
1) All of the examples of how to remove the keel with the boat on the trailer were very helpful to see prior to starting the process. The C22NSA Technical Manual has some great ideas for this.
2) I challenged myself to find affordable services at a reasonable rate for the steps I could not do (or could have done better) . (i.e., used a sand blaster from the Port of Tampa that did my keel as fill-in work. They even coated it with an epoxy primer immediately to keep it rust free).
3) I agree with Stingy' s coating steps. I've read at least one post since from a guy that skipped the barrier coat and had fresh rust under the epoxy in short order after splashing the boat.
4) Found Stingy's info regarding the correct NACA foil shape to be very useful. Of coarse, the boat will sail fine without all the fairing. I figured, I'm going to all this trouble......

The whole thing takes a while. It's pretty rewarding when you look at the before and after photos. Good luck and try to have fun.

Jun 4, 2004
-catalina -22 fresno, calif.
When I overhauled my keel, Catalina Direct offered a how-to-do-it vhs tape and patterns to remove and fair the keel. I thought it would be cool to have an aerodynamic keel. Having done it, it is too much extra work and time for no real gain. I Broke two hanger bolts removing it. Have it sandblasted it's much faster, it is hard metal, if you need/want to drill any holes in it, use high quality drills and go slow. It was all simple work.

RJD

Aug 31, 2013
Catalina 22 Chesapeake Bay, Deale, MD
I did mine a few years ago. Yes, have it sandblasted, prime it right away - because it starts rusting right away, fair it with epoxy and filler, then barrier coat, and lastly, ablative anti-fouling. Still no sign of rust after several years.

Last edited: