Catalina 22 Swing Keel Paint

Jul 12, 2023
Catalina 22 Kentucky Lake
Hello,
I purchased a 1986 Catalina 22 a couple of years ago and need to spot finish the keel. It has always been a freshwater boat so it's not that bad.
I have already replaced the bulkheads and some minor gelcoat repairs. Currently working on trailer upgrades, new springs, hubs/bearings and paint.
Any advice on what type/brand of paint would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Randy

Attachments

Aug 2, 2009
Catalina 315 Muskegon
It depends on whether you launch it every time you sail, or whether you keep it in a slip. If you're in a slip, don't you want to use anti-fouling paint on the entire bottom? Interlux VC17 is very popular for freshwater applications.

Jul 12, 2023
We typically launch every time we sail. If we stay overnight, it would only be for a couple of days.

Mar 2, 2019
Oday 25 Milwaukee
When you ask about repainting ,are you asking about the cast iron sing keel or the hull itself ?

Mar 2, 2019
Oday 25 Milwaukee
That is what I understood you to ask. I would use a wire brush on a 4 1/2" grinder and get down to the iron . You can either use something like POR which would seal and act as a primer or use a Rustoleum product directly on the keel . As your boat doesn't sit in saltwater for extended periods of time ,I'd probable use a white oil based Rustoleum.

Sep 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Minnesota
Hello,
I purchased a 1986 Catalina 22 a couple of years ago and need to spot finish the keel. It has always been a freshwater boat so it's not that bad.
I have already replaced the bulkheads and some minor gelcoat repairs. Currently working on trailer upgrades, new springs, hubs/bearings and paint.
Any advice on what type/brand of paint would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Randy
Your boat registration numbers seem to indicate your in Texas. There is a large racing contingent there for Catalina 22s. Based on the white color of the keel you may want to check as it could have been painted in the past with VC performance epoxy. It adds a great slick bottom but has no antifouling properties. If you're a trailer sailor you might be best to just stick with that. Otherwise VC17 is a favorite in the Great Lakes for us trailer sailors as previously mentioned. If the keel was coated in performance epoxy paint nothing else will stick to it! You'll have to strip it to get antifouling properties if you want.

In your shoes I would just stick with the stuff that's on there as you'll have almost no growth in a week or 2 on the water for typical cruising.

What are your plans for the boat? Cruising, racing, both?

Jul 12, 2023
Currently restoring all exterior wood back to "classic" style. We will be cruising local lakes in TN and KY, no plans for racing.
The couple I purchased the boat from (in TX) was the second owner and they kept it for 13 years.
So, I feel lucky to have found such a nice boat. :cool: