Catalina 22 running rigging question

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Pat Ehlers

Hi there -- I'm in the process of getting the boat I just bought into the water. It is a basic Catalina 22, no fancy racing stuff or anything like that in the rigging. I am wanting to replace all the running rigging on the boat, all the lines. I'm not sure how much line to purchase. Does anyone have a general ball park length of line that I need to buy? Can I use all one size of line or do I need to purchase different diameters of line? Any advice would be MUCH appreciated. Thanks again, Pat

L

LaDonna Bubak - Planet Catalina

Length

C22 mast height is 25'. Double that = 50' Add about 10' to run back to cockpit & that should be more than enough (60' total). Err on the side of too much than too little. If the cockpit coil is too much, just trim it & use the line for something else. If the sheaves at the top of the mast are the same size, using the same diameter line is fine. I like to use different colors for visual identification. LaDonna

T

Tim Cobb

Genoa and main sheet info

Hi Pat, The information for your halyards is correct. The standard C22 main sheet is 60' of 3/8 inch line and the sheet for a 150% Genoa needs to be 55' of 3/8 inch. 55' will be enough for the port and starboard genoa sheet. Find the middle of the line, poke it through the sail and feed the two tails through the loop. Some sailors use two separate lines but this method works for me. If you have a boom vang it will need 30' of 5/16 inch line. Good luck, Tim Cobb

M

Mark McGeorge

Reply from Florida

The standard specifications for all of the running rigging for the C-22 including length and diameter are available in the Catalina 22 Owner's Manual and General Handbook. If you don't have one you can get one from Catalina Direct for about $2 (catalinadirect.com). Mark McGeorge C-22 15209 "Running Start"

Status
Not open for further replies.