Catalina 22 or Tanzer 22

Jul 29, 2021
Catalina 22 n/a
Hey folks,

Well, I've been taking my time since I posted this message (Beginner Questions), looking around for a decent trailer sailer. I've narrowed it down, I think, to two boats: the Catalina 22 and the Tanzer 22.

They seem to be roughly comparable in terms of size, though sailboatdata.com has the Tanzer 22 at a foot longer than the Catalina 22, and about two inches wider. However, in terms of weight, the T22 is definitely a heavier boat: the type I'm considering (with a centerboard) is 850# heavier than the C22.

So, I guess what I'm looking for is anyone's thoughts on the two boats, especially from anyone who's owned either or both types. Pro's, con's, things you really liked, things you really didn't like, things you wish you had after you bought the boat(s), things you wish you didn't do, and so on.

One specific thing I'd like to know about is usable living space. Like, on the T22 the cockpit seems bigger, but the cabin seems smaller even though the boat is a foot longer. Is that accurate?

Also, in terms of maintenance/repair parts, Catalina is still in production but Tanzer isn't. Is it hard to buy parts for Tanzers?

I'm tending towards the Tanzer, mostly because it's a little bigger and seems "sturdier". But the fact that it's out of production does make me hesitate.

Anyhow, if anyone would please share their insights, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

WP6

Jul 5, 2005
Beneteau 361 Sandusky Harbor Marina
I'm afraid I can't speak to the Tanzer portion of your question, but the Catalina 22 will be plenty sturdy if it's been reasonably maintained throughout it's life. I've heard good things about Tanzer but have never sailed one, so I suspect you could be happy with either boat. Sorry I'm not more help. good luck in your decision making process.

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
Most older boats are out of production. Most boats use off the shelf parts with a handful of boat specific parts in the mix. The extra weight of the T22 will make it more comfortable in waves but to what degree I'm not quite sure. I suspect that the Catalina might be a little faster but I could be wrong. What type of sailing do you intend to do with it (day sail, trailering, overnight, racing, etc)? Where are you planning on sailing it?

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
A lot depends upon the tow vehicle and trailer getting the boat out of the water are highly suggested if trailering alot

Apr 26, 2015
S2 26 Mid On Trailer
You don't say what country you live in. The Catalina will have better resell in the US. The Tanzer will hold it's on in Canada. No matter what, get a swing keel (C-22)/ keel CB (T-22), if you plan to trailer. More swing keel C-22 out there than Tanzers. The C-22 will require less water depth at the launch than the keel/swing CB of the Tanzer. That's a big thing in the western lakes of the US. As @Crazy Dave Condon says the extra 1000# f the T-22 could be the deal breaker depending on vehicle.

Jul 29, 2021
Catalina 22 n/a
You don't say what country you live in. The Catalina will have better resell in the US. The Tanzer will hold it's on in Canada. No matter what, get a swing keel (C-22)/ keel CB (T-22), if you plan to trailer. More swing keel C-22 out there than Tanzers. The C-22 will require less water depth at the launch than the keel/swing CB of the Tanzer. That's a big thing in the western lakes of the US. As @Crazy Dave Condon says the extra 1000# f the T-22 could be the deal breaker depending on vehicle.
I'm in the US, in the Great Lakes region. I hear you about the swing keel/centerboard. Definitely going to get one of those.