Catalina 22 Leak

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 30, 2009
Catalina 250 CSA at Carlyle Lake
Hi, I'm fairly new to sailing and I'm looking for a Catalina 22 to purchase. A friend of a friend of a friend has a 1976 model for sale but mentioned that it has a minor leak only while sailing. After a full day of sailing, he has to pump out a few inches of water from the bilge. It doesn't leak at all when just sitting at the dock. Does this sound like a major problem and would anyone know why this might be happening? Also, I would appreciate it if anyone out there could let me know what else I should be aware of on a boat this old.
Thanks!
Greg

Nov 19, 2008
Catalina C-22 MK-II Parrish, FL
The water could be coming from the keel bolt that helps hold the keel from clunking. So check where it's having to be pumped out at. It's in the forward dinette storage area. Mine leaked while sailing and it was the calking under the rub-rail. It was a big job picking out all the old calking and installing new.

By the way, I was up on the Alton Pool with our old C-22 in 1992 and 1993. She rode out the flood in 93 at Portage Des Souix.

Don

Sep 30, 2009
Thanks for the tip Don. I'll see if the seller is able to elaborate on where the leak is coming from. What a coincidence - Portage Des Souix is where the boat I'm interested in is sailed.

Greg

OldCat

Jul 26, 2005
Catalina , Nacra 5.8, Laser, Hobie Hawk Wonmop, CO
Hi, I'm fairly new to sailing and I'm looking for a Catalina 22 to purchase. A friend of a friend of a friend has a 1976 model for sale but mentioned that it has a minor leak only while sailing. After a full day of sailing, he has to pump out a few inches of water from the bilge. It doesn't leak at all when just sitting at the dock. Does this sound like a major problem and would anyone know why this might be happening? Also, I would appreciate it if anyone out there could let me know what else I should be aware of on a boat this old.
Thanks!
Greg
What keel does it have - swing of fin? The other places water is likely to come in are thru hull fittings like a sink drain. It the boat has a swing keel, pay especially close attention to the 'volcano' where the keel lift wire goes through the hull. Than area and especially its hose are a maintenance concern.

I would not even consider buying the boat unless I knew exactly what was causing the leak and what it would cost to fix it. My boat is newer (2005), a swing keel, and my only bilge problem is dust.

A few inches of water is frightening if the boat were to be left at a dock or mooring for a few days - what if the leak got worse? I would not buy the boat - unless it is an easy fix AND you can verify the fix with it in the water for a few days. A Catalina 22 is too simple a boat to be leaking that much.

OC

Sep 30, 2009
I've been doing tons of "Google" research on leaky C22's. It seems that most leaks that produces 2 inches of water would be a major repair. My current O'Day DS2 leaks quite a bit and I really don't want another leaky boat. I'm going to use my experience, research,a and OC's advice and pass on this boat.

My plan was to have a C22 by spring - 2011 so I'm not in a real hurry. There will be plenty of other opportunities. Thanks for the your help!

Greg

Nov 19, 2008
Catalina C-22 MK-II Parrish, FL
Ditto.....Too many nice C-22's out there for a decent price than to buy one with unexplainable problems. I would rather pay a little more and spend more time sailing. When we started looking, we wanted no repairs needed, and only a weekend of scrub'en.

By the way, we were at Palisades Yacht Club in Portage......we sure had a lot of fun there!

Don

Oct 17, 2005
Catalina 22 Scottsbluff
I had a similar problem years ago. The trick was to make a mental list of what areas of the boat were exposed to or under water when sailing and NOT when just sitting at anchor, then check each and service as necessary. I went through the "volcano", keel lock down pin, etc. and didn't find anything. I finally stopped the water migration completely when I resealed the rudder attachment hardware and the motor mounting points with silicone caulk. Now, dry as a bone.

Feb 28, 2005
Catalina 22 1909 North East, Md.
My 1973 C22 had a problem with water leaking into the bilge under the forward sette and had to be pumped out after each time I went sailing. I solved the problem by removing the keel locking bolt and lubricating both the keel bolt hole and the keel bolt with a good quality marine grease and put the bolt back in, NO MORE LEAK!!! do this once or twice a year and it will keep the water out, if that is the problem. Ask the current owner to try and see if that stops the leak.

Sep 30, 2009
Unfortunately, I just found out that the owner has been transferred to a different part of the country and is not available to troubleshoot the leak. Heck, I wouldn't even be able to take a test sail on it before buying it. There's too many unknowns on this boat so, I'm running from this one. Thanks for the tip though, I'll remember it when I do buy a C22 and if it develops a leak.

Greg

Status
Not open for further replies.