Catalina 22 ice chest

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Steve Linsk

I just bought a 1987 Catalina 22 w/ trailer and am in the process of restoring it. This boat originally came with an ice chest that fit neatly inside the companionway on the sole. In addition to storing food, the closed ice chest was used as a step to enter the cabin. Can anyone tell me what brand and size of ice chest can be purchased today that would ft the space and serve the same purpose? My boat did not come with an ice chest. I believe the boat originally sold with a Coleman ice chest.

W

watercolors

Coleman

I still have the original Coleman that came with my '87. Last year I found a new 48 qt. Coleman that is still made in the same style. I have a another mfg's style of 48 qt that also fits. I'd say take a ruler to Walmart.

slinsk

Nov 8, 2006
- - Laguna Beach, CA
Thank You

I measured the space at 23.5" x 13.5". Unfortunately, neither Coleman nor Igloo publish product dimensions on their Web sites. I'll take your advice (and my ruler) to Wal*Mart starting in the 48 quart section! Thanks, S.L.

Nov 14, 2006
Hunter 27 Lake Lanier, GA
I have heard

That they still sell the cooler and the step at either the Catalina factory or CatalinaDirect.com, always best to call CD if you do not see it on their web site...there are more things available than they have room for on the web.

Bilbo

Aug 29, 2005
Catalina 22 Ohio
Cooler model

I believe that the model # for the exact fit Coleman cooler is an older #5286 or newer #5248 The number is located on the bottom. It's called a 48 quart chest cooler. try the Coleman dot com web site for it. It's still available as a single unit or as a combo package with a 1/3 gallon beverage drink & smaller cooler. 48 Quart Chest Cooler 5248B718G Blue or 5248B703G Red ~$25 The dimensions (published on the Coleman web site are) 14.88" X 25.5" X 13.5" probably include the handles which don't actually go into the opening. The difference between the store bought model and the one that came with the boat or from CD direct might only be a wood step board on the lid.

L

Larry

I got mine at Walmart!

Last summer I found the right cooler at Walmart. I cut a 1/2" piece of plywood to fit the top, stained it to match my teak and secured it to the cooler lid with 4 screws! It works just great - and clears under the swing keel winch handle nicely. Besides -I just couldn't see spending so much money on a "special" cooler (NOT!) and piece of teak - just to step on it all the time.

Bilbo

Aug 29, 2005
Catalina 22 Ohio
That board

Yes Larry, That is a good idea about using a piece of plywood for the lid board. I'd consider it somewhat sacrificial. It's going to get abused so there's no reason to get too fancy with inlaid zebra wood on african grenadilla. The neat thing about the original cooler(if you can get it) besides the $25 price, is that it has an indentation molded into the lid for the board. If you have an old factory Catalina cooler, that board should work just fine. ~Bilbo N.E. Ohio

Status
Not open for further replies.