Catalina 22 Bulkheads

Oct 2, 2017
Catalina 22 Haslett, MI
I acquired a mid 1970's Catalina 22 with all the woodwork, fasteners, trim, everything removed. The forward port and starboard bulkheads were starting to delaminate so I have cut new plywood bulkheads. My question is, how are these attached to the boat? It looks like there were several screws along the bottom of the bulkhead that went right into the fiberglass seatback. (Any wood backing material behind the fiberglass?? Were these stainless oval head screws with a finishing washer? Is that the only attachment point? No tabbing on these bulkheads or anything? Any photos of the fasteners and where they are located for the port and starboard bulkheads would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Jul 13, 2015
Catalina 22 #2552 2252 Kennewick, WA
Had some pictures from working up both bulkheads and filling / reinforcing the typical stress cracks. As you noted, not much in the way of mechanical support-- the starboard bulkhead (not unlike the port) is of course through bolted to the chainplate to support the stress on the main stays. Starboard takes a couple of screws forward into the lip of the V berth and a couple aft facing into the bump out of the hull. Included some pics of the underside-- you can see nothing but fiberglass to grab with those screws. The port bulkhead adds a couple of screws aft facing into the mast support-- but in a nutshell both bulkheads are largely sandwiched between the hull and the deck to combat compression and to stiffen the joint.

File_000 (1).jpegFile_008 (1).jpegFile_002 (1).jpegFile_000.jpegFile_001.jpegFile_002.jpeg

• Helpful

AaronD

Aug 10, 2014
Catalina 22 9874 Newberg, OR / Olympia, WA
1981 boat here. I haven't worked on our port side (yet), but I noticed the screws on our starboard side working loose under sailing stress cycles. Looking into it, I found that the bulkhead was attached with 4 wood screws (about #10 or #12). Screwed through the bulkhead, the liner fiberglass, and into a strip of plywood attached to the back side of the liner. The plywood wasn't rotting, but the screw threads were working loose after 40 years.

I re-drilled and through-bolted with 1/4" SS machine screws (easy, because the plywood backing plate is accessible reaching through the starboard settee locker). If the backing wood were rotting, it would be trickier, but you could chisel it out and replace with new plywood or a plate of G10.
IMG_2562.JPG