Catalina 18 - Advice on mast raising?

Aug 31, 2022
Catalina Capri 18 560 La Bahia de San Felipe, MX
Hi All, I just purchased a 2000 Catalina 18 last weekend and transported it across the Rocky Mountains to my home in SW Denver. This weekend, I intend to re-rig the boat post-transport for the first time. Most likely, it'll only be me and one (possibly two) other people. I think I'll be in pretty good shape, but I'm a little concerned about stepping the mast for the first time. When we dropped the mast, we we left the back-stay on, and only loosened two of the four shrouds before un-doing the fore-stay at the bow. It came down pretty easily with one person holding a line way out in front of the bow to ease the weight, and a third person aft who guided the mast into the holder attached to the transom.

Any advice on reversing this process? Maybe I'm overly concerned and it's no big deal, but this is my first sailboat (I've sailed before, but never owned one) and I'd prefer not to damage the mast on my first time putting it up. I've already scoped out some previous posts on this topic and am considering making a gin-pole, but I'm going to try it this first time without one.

Thanks in advance!

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I hope this isn't insulting but scope out the site for overhead power cables. This has to be on your checklist (Mental or otherwise) for where ever you launch. Might as well get that in the thought loop the first time.
I had a Bandit 15 and would step the mast solo all the time. Thee was no need for a gin pole with that boat. You want to make sure the shrouds are clear. Hardware has been bent because a shroud terminal was facing the wrong direction. You will also want to confirm that you have removed all tie downs, bungies and other restraints which will prevent the mast from going up. It sound obvious but I know I've made mistakes.
With every thing set I would just lift the mast in it's hinge from the rear of the cockpit and walk it forward. That boat had swept back spreaders so the mast was pretty stable with just me pushing it forward when it was up. I would climb onto the foredeck now pulling the mast and then grab the forestay. I would move forward on the foredeck and dismount the boat still using the forestay to exert forward force on the mast. Attach the forestay and you are ready to put the boom on.
A lot a smooth operation is presets.
And one more thing: Make sure your halyard tails are secured in some way so that you don't pull them Into the mast which would require re-running the halyard. I did that the first time.

Aug 31, 2022
Thanks Andrew - much appreciated basics! I'll get a number of opportunities to sort out the process steps over the next few months, then I'm bringing the boat to Mexico where we will sail it primarily in the Sea of Cortez. The plan is to dry sail it and keep it in my garage - it'll go out (most likely often) with just me so I'll be working out the kinks this Fall before heading South.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Pay special attention about shemanders warning on aerial obstructions. Them electrical wires are killers. I have never found the need to slack the shrouds. Just release the forestay and the shrouds will slack by themselves as the mast starts to comes down. This way they will remain in position when the mast is raised and there will be no need for adjustment. For raising the mast, connect the bottom of the mast to the tabernacle and support the top end on the back of the boat on a ladder or a fabricated crutch. make sure the shrouds are laid out straight and free of tangles. Step as far back as you can in the boat's cockpit and pick up the mast above your shoulders. Then walk forward at a steady pace walking the mast hand over hand and continue by climbing up to the cabin in a straight line and watching as the shrouds take control of side to side movement. Once you reach the tabernacle the mast will be up. Continue holding forward until someone re-install the forestay. A smooth fluid walk and raising force creates momentum which helps with the raising. If a shroud gets tangled abort the raise and walk the mast back to rest on the crutch. If doing it single handedly just use the headsail halyard ran thru a turning block to provide the forward pull that you will need to hold the mast up while you make your way up to the bow to connect the forestay. Tie the end of the halyard to a cleat so it holds the mast and you are free to work. There are some quick connectors which can facilitate attaching the headstay to the deck feature. The mast for the 18' should not be very heavy but it is always easier to walk the mast up than try to pick up the dead weight on one end. As the mast moves up you will notice it gets lighter and lighter. Juts watch the mast does not start moving side to side until the shrouds catch about 3/4 of the way up. Taking it down is just the reverse. Just practice the walk up and down so you will know where you need to step to get up and down the cabin. I always do it with the boat on the trailer, it gives a better footing than with the boat on the water. Good luck

Aug 31, 2022
Thanks Benny! Both these replies took some time to write out and I appreciate all the excellent tips! Between the two of you I think this will go just fine. I'll let you know!

Aug 31, 2022
UPDATE: Got the boat out for the first time on Monday. Stepping the mast was not a big deal at all - it went right up and we were able to keep the mast up just having it lean forward until we could get the forestay attached. THAT was the hard part! We just couldn't get it pulled far enough forward to get it attached to the bow. We loosened the backstay as much as possible, still no good (1-2 inches short). Eventually I found a strong U-connector and attached it successfully - then we tightened the backstay again. We went around and did our best to tune the standing rigging all around and thought we did pretty well. However, when we were out on the water, we could see that under load, the backstay was too loose. I've got some ideas on how to make this process a bit easier, but always ready to hear additional advice.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Does the forestay have a turnbuckle? And is the backstay adjustable?

Aug 31, 2022
Does the forestay have a turnbuckle? And is the backstay adjustable?
The backstay has a turnbuckle that is adjustable, and it's adjusted as tight as it can go. This is a photo of the linkage under the roller furler on the forestay. You can see the extra U-link that I had to use just to get it attached. I'd like to loosen the backstay, take that U off, and see if I can get it attached as (I believe) it was before.

Attachments

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
That's not bad.
The forestay length has a lot to do with the feel of the helm. So figure out the right length and keep it that way. If it is too short you'll be fighting a weather helm using too much rudder and slowing the boat down. If it's too long you'll have lee helm. The right length is often published by class associations or other sources. Adjust the backstay to fit.