catalina 16.5 capri

Nov 16, 2010
Cape Dory Typhoon Mission Bay
Does anyone own a 16.5 ?
I have sailed the fixed keel Catalina 16.5 several times. I don't own one.
I found it very easy to handle single-handed and lots of fun at 10-12 knots of wind. I usually sail in Mission Bay in San Diego. I would be interested in buying one to replace my Lido if I could find one at a reasonable price. They do seem to be a bit pricey. Enjoy sailing yours?

May 23, 2007
Catalina Capri 22 Albany, Oregon
I had one for 2 seasons then we upgraded to the Capri 22. Given that the lake is a foot too low for me to launch this year, and no sign of rain in the immediate future, I'm wishing I'd been able to keep the 16.5 too.

There's a yahoo group for the 16.5: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Catalina_16-5/

Mar 29, 2013
catalina capri 16.5 great bay
Trailering question

I have sailed the fixed keel Catalina 16.5 several times. I don't own one.
I found it very easy to handle single-handed and lots of fun at 10-12 knots of wind. I usually sail in Mission Bay in San Diego. I would be interested in buying one to replace my Lido if I could find one at a reasonable price. They do seem to be a bit pricey. Enjoy sailing yours?
I have the mast and jib rigged and ready to go, just not sure the best way to demast and trailer without too much trouble. Any helpful suggestions?

May 23, 2007
Re: Trailering question

Raise and lower the mast ON THE TRAILER. Don't try to do it in the water. Dropping the mast is fairly easy if you have 2 people . . . one person in the boat behind the mast, the other unhooks the jib at the stem fitting and starts easing it down until the other can take it and guide it down. Once it's down, unhook it from the tabernacle, unhook the shrouds from the boat, and put it on the mast crutch(es). Tie up the shrouds with ball bungies.

If you're alone it gets a bit trickier. Easiest way is probably to rig a line around the trailer post and tie one end off to the jib furler and cleat the other to one of the jib cleats with plenty of free line . Release the jib pin and go back to the cockpit. Ease the line and the mast should come down so you can control it.

Set up is just the reverse - The sails both went in the bag until I was ready to raise the mast. Hook up the shrouds, hook up the jib, and
up it goes. The on with the boom and sail and go have fun!

Does your trailer have a mast carrier at the front like the one in this picture?

I had a canvas cover so I unhooked the shrouds and bungied them to the mast. I also made a support for the stern that used the rudder gudgeons and supported the aft end of the mast. As you can see from the photo below, there was a bungie holding the mast crutch down and a strap holding the mast to the boat. The rope going through the scuppers has a loop in each end for the hooks on the strap.

Let's see, other advice . . . don't fall off the boat while it's on the trailer. :D I did that, luckily I was able to tuck & roll so I didn't get more than bruises.

Once you get the hang of the boat, raise the board when you're heading downwind, just don't forget to put it back down before you head back upwind.

If you want to go out in big wind, send the sail to Ullman San Diego for reef points.

Lots of people put pool noodle foam in the mast to keep it from filling with water and turtling if you get knocked down. A hobie float is even better.

I put a boarding ladder on the stern of mine. It was only 2 steps, so hard for the Admiral to get back in. If I did it again I'd probably get a 3 step telescoping one.

We mounted a car trunk cargo net in the cuddy and we used to have a cooler that just fit through the hatch. I also kept a canoe paddle up there and a couple of throwable cushions.

Note the fading on the jib in the first photo. If you're going to moor the boat then invest in a jib cover. My wife made a set of covers from a Sailrite kit.

Mar 29, 2013
catalina capri 16.5 great bay
Hi, thanks for the reply, and I understand what to do now. Do you have the ring clips or something easier/quicker to fasten to the tabernacle, and what size pins do you use to fasten it down. The person I bought the boat from purchased new shrouds, but not sure if the pins are the correct size, they are smaller than the hole in the tabernacle. And lastly, I need new spreader tangs, do you know where to buy them.

Thanks,
Sailordave

May 23, 2007
Mast to tabernacle was a stainless bolt with a wing nut; same as the Capri 22 but smaller. Jib connected to the stem fitting with a push-button clevis pin. The shrouds connected to the chain plates with clevis pins and ring dings.

As far as replacement parts go, I'd try Catalina Direct. If they don't have them in the online store give them a call. My guess is they'll have it anyway.

Sep 7, 2013
Catalina 16.5 Canyon Lake
Re: Trailering question

Hi I'm just curious where did you get the red white and blue sails? Great pattern! Do you remember what you paid? Thanks in advance.

May 23, 2007
They were factory sails that came with the boat. I suspect you can get them from Ullman in San Diego.

If you do get some, make sure you have sail covers because the blue fades really easily.

Sep 7, 2013
Chris,
Thanks for the info and tip. I actually found your picture when I was searching for capri pics and that led me to this website. I got one with girly sails but the condition of the boat was too good to pass up. I'm still new to sailing and am trying to outfit the boat. What kind of anchor and weight would you recommend? I've heard some people not using an anchor? Thanks in advance.
Bill

May 23, 2007
By girly you mean the pink & purple ones? :)

I didn't have an anchor. We trailer sailed or had a slip at the Marina. I'd think a 10 pound Danforth for a lunch hook would be plenty since I run a 13 for a lunch hook on the Capri 22.

Sep 7, 2013
Yeah the pink and purple sails lol. Everyone says its a "pretty boat". Hey like the country songs the chicks dig it. :) New sails are about $695 for the main and $389 for jib from ullman in case anyone else is interested. Same price if their the colored ones or white I contacted ullman first and then catalina and they just forward your info to ullman. So looks like ullman is the place to get them. I'll probably keep my chicks dig it sails for a bit to learn in and get the red white and blue pattern come spring time. Thanks for the info!!!

Clark

Jun 30, 2004
Hunter 280 Lake Guntersville, AL
www.sailBCYC.org
BCYC needs a sixth Capri 16.5 fixed keel model sailboat.
If you have one for sale please contact me:
David Burnham
cell: 843-906-8637
I'm looking for one too David. BTW, I spoke with Jonathan Gillespie today to pick his brain about the 16.5K and he was very nice and very helpful. There just aren't very many of those around to look at and "kick the tires".

Jul 6, 2015
AMF Force 5 My garage
Hello All,
I am looking to buy a Capri 16.5, that is over 2 hours away, and have a storage space restriction. Our sailboat, including trailer must fit in a space that is 20' 6" long. I do understand that I can move the boat forward on the trailer to reduce the total length but the tongue weight will increase. I have a huge favor! Could anyone provide the following info?
1) distance from trailer ball to axle
2) distance from bow to ball
3) tongue weight with the boat unloaded
This information will certainly help solve this puzzle.
Thanks much!!
Dale

Raise and lower the mast ON THE TRAILER. Don't try to do it in the water. Dropping the mast is fairly easy if you have 2 people . . . one person in the boat behind the mast, the other unhooks the jib at the stem fitting and starts easing it down until the other can take it and guide it down. Once it's down, unhook it from the tabernacle, unhook the shrouds from the boat, and put it on the mast crutch(es). Tie up the shrouds with ball bungies.

If you're alone it gets a bit trickier. Easiest way is probably to rig a line around the trailer post and tie one end off to the jib furler and cleat the other to one of the jib cleats with plenty of free line . Release the jib pin and go back to the cockpit. Ease the line and the mast should come down so you can control it.

Set up is just the reverse - The sails both went in the bag until I was ready to raise the mast. Hook up the shrouds, hook up the jib, and
up it goes. The on with the boom and sail and go have fun!

Does your trailer have a mast carrier at the front like the one in this picture?

I had a canvas cover so I unhooked the shrouds and bungied them to the mast. I also made a support for the stern that used the rudder gudgeons and supported the aft end of the mast. As you can see from the photo below, there was a bungie holding the mast crutch down and a strap holding the mast to the boat. The rope going through the scuppers has a loop in each end for the hooks on the strap.

Let's see, other advice . . . don't fall off the boat while it's on the trailer. :D I did that, luckily I was able to tuck & roll so I didn't get more than bruises.

Once you get the hang of the boat, raise the board when you're heading downwind, just don't forget to put it back down before you head back upwind.

If you want to go out in big wind, send the sail to Ullman San Diego for reef points.

Lots of people put pool noodle foam in the mast to keep it from filling with water and turtling if you get knocked down. A hobie float is even better.

I put a boarding ladder on the stern of mine. It was only 2 steps, so hard for the Admiral to get back in. If I did it again I'd probably get a 3 step telescoping one.

We mounted a car trunk cargo net in the cuddy and we used to have a cooler that just fit through the hatch. I also kept a canoe paddle up there and a couple of throwable cushions.

Note the fading on the jib in the first photo. If you're going to moor the boat then invest in a jib cover. My wife made a set of covers from a Sailrite kit.

Jul 26, 2016
American Sail 18 MDR
Has anybody tried lowering the mast forward, using boom and mainsheet as gin pole and hoist? I saw large sailboats in France going under bridges by lowering the mast forward and resting it on bow pulpit. Then on other side of bridge they would just haul away at mainsheet and the mast would return to position. Nevermind. I guess the three point mast arrangement would require releasing rear shrouds to knock her down, or relocating shrouds amidships and installing a rear stay, still..

Jan 30, 2020
Catalina Capri 37 San Diego
Has anybody tried lowering the mast forward, using boom and mainsheet as gin pole and hoist? I saw large sailboats in France going under bridges by lowering the mast forward and resting it on bow pulpit. Then on other side of bridge they would just haul away at mainsheet and the mast would return to position. Nevermind. I guess the three point mast arrangement would require releasing rear shrouds to knock her down, or relocating shrouds amidships and installing a rear stay, still..
I believe the mast is deck-stepped and hinges aft so remove the pin and tie a line from the base of the mast to perhaps the jib fairleads on both sides like a bridle, recommend "prussic hitch". You'll still need a crew to hold on to the mast base when it kicks loose from the step. I've done it but wouldn't recommend it unless circumstances are unique. Like cruising the Intercoastal and needing to get under a low bridge.