cat22 woe's

Sep 11, 2021
Catalina 22 22 mkII Sebastian
so I am an adult leader for my local sea scout we have a catalina 22 that we just finally got into the water to be able to take our kids out on. we came down to the boat today to take them out and low and behold the keel cable had snapped. It will be a real pia to pull the boat back out of the water on its trailer with the keel down. I need to replace the cable and while I'm at it I thought about replacing the turning ball. My real question is should I even attempt this while in the water or just get a new wire in and attached to the keel so we can raise it and get the boat out of the water then do the turning ball.

ShawnL

Jul 29, 2020
Catalina 22 3603 Calumet Mi
I'd wait on the turning ball. It's either below, or very close to the water line. There are people who used a rope or a strap and the winches to raise the keel. I've always thought that putting a thin strong rope (dymema maybe) down through the volcano then swimming down and tying a noose around the keel and using the keel winch to bring it up should work. It was always my plan if it happened to me, though I've never tried it.

You may be able to attach the new cable under water, but I had a heck of a time getting the cotter pin out of mine while it was on the trailer. It'd take some work to get it out while holding your breath.

Sep 11, 2021
Catalina 22 22 mkII Sebastian
thankfully/ not thankfully it's in like 4ft of water and in florida so clear warm water I was able to remove the old cotter pin and send one of my other leaders with a piece of cable and the connector to hopefully hit up our local airport for some new sscable and connector as apprently it's used in small airplanes. right now I have line through the keel attachment eye and ya used the Wenches to raise it up off the bottom.