• Mobile App For Android Now Online!

Download it here. The app is searchable in the Google Play Store under Sailboat Owners.

Sorry iPhone/iPad users, we are still waiting on Apple. :(

Click the X in the upper right corner to make this go away

Cat18 the right boat for me?

Sep 6, 2019
Catalina 18 Mass
Hi - newbie here. I am possibly looking to buy a C18. I am wondering if its the right boat for me. I have done all the on-line reading. Here's some desired characteristics and related thoughts:

Small, trailberable, stable, ease of operation.
I am 62, slightly overweight with 50 years of sailing experience and ownership (but not an expert).
Day sailing only, in saltwater harbor close coast
Wind prevailing 10-15kts with occasional chop.
The boat will be moored, so self-bailing is desired
Mainly single-handling, but up to 3-4 people on rare occasion
Not interested in speed/performance.
Money is tight

Pls comment - I appreciate all input. Thx

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 Westport, MA
I think for a daysailer, especially considering 3 to 4 people on occasion, I'd go for something with a larger cockpit. The C18 seems more a pocket cruiser than a daysailer.

Jan 1, 2006
Marblehead Skiff 14' Greenport, NY
I agree that if you are on a mooring self bailing is a must have. I just looked at it on sailboatdata.com. It seems like a nice boat for you stated use. And thanks for being specific about that. I like the fractional rig, and the wing keel for stability and trailering. Small cuddy for stowage - if on a mooring you'll be hauling enough gear back and forth. I'm sure there are other boats that would suit your criteria but this design looks good.

Sep 6, 2019
Catalina 18 Mass
I think for a daysailer, especially considering 3 to 4 people on occasion, I'd go for something with a larger cockpit. The C18 seems more a pocket cruiser than a daysailer.
Thanks jviss - the 3-4 people would be the outlier for sure, and in that case, it would be a short harbor cruise in mild weather.

Oct 3, 2011
Anam Cara Catalina 310 Hull #155 Lake Erie/Catawba Island
Catalina 22 is a GREAT boat and would give you more storage and a cuddy cabin, room for a porta potty, easy to sail,buy and maintain, Inexpensive also.

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 Westport, MA
I read your requirements again, and also it appears you're in Massachusetts, right? And money is tight?

There'a a gorgeous daysailer that I was considering, but I really can't do it now. It's a McVay Minuet. It's very sleek and beautiful, and reportedly very, very stable, and fast. It's 18, maybe 19' in length overall.

There's a cool blog by an enthusiast, here:
The McVay Minuet Mainsheet

And, there's one available in Virginia, including a trailer, for $300! Here:
Sail Boat and Trailer

It needs TLC and sails, but then, new sails really make the boat, and at this size, won't break the bank.

It's a little over 400 miles away. I would bring new wheel bearings and wheels with tires if I was going to get it. Would try to get the seller to measure the bearing size. Else, I'd just bring a whole, new axel assembly. And a MA "homemade trailer" plate.

(This isn't the one for $300!)

Sep 6, 2019
Catalina 18 Mass
Beautiful for sure!
The local one needs alittle work, it does not have a self-bailing cockpit and the current owner does not know if it sails tender.
I basically want a sailing "tub" with little or no work needed (no offense to anyone for the tub reference)

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2019
Catalina 18 Mass
Catalina 22 is a GREAT boat and would give you more storage and a cuddy cabin, room for a porta potty, easy to sail,buy and maintain, Inexpensive also.
I have considered a Cat 22....would need the keel model tho (there was a keel version correct?). It gets into the mid size realm for me and I really want a small boat (I had a Compac 16 before that I liked, but wanted slightly more stable).

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
I'd take that Minuet over a Cataline for sure! What great lines and looks, new sails would be just a gem of a little boat. I'm also on the watch for a small 1-2 dingy sail for my daughter, she says she wants her own Sunfish, but Mom and I would like something a bit bigger for her.

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 Westport, MA
I'd take that Minuet over a Cataline for sure! What great lines and looks, new sails would be just a gem of a little boat. I'm also on the watch for a small 1-2 dingy sail for my daughter, she says she wants her own Sunfish, but Mom and I would like something a bit bigger for her.
I've been toying with the idea of getting something like the Minuet and adding an electric inboard auxiliary.

Oct 3, 2011
Anam Cara Catalina 310 Hull #155 Lake Erie/Catawba Island
It may also be about the cost-"What if money was no object"?
The 22 is a great standard boat and can be a good all around racer,cruiser,fun boat
Its just a boat, there are lots of them out there. Have Fun-Enjoy-the BEST BOAT is the one you sail A LOT!