Cat Tails?

Jul 22, 2013
Com-Pac Horizon Cat Holland
In response to Don's message on fractional rigs and tell tails, I would like to know your opinion on telltales for gaff rigged cat-boat with a single sail. I have difficulty using the telltales as as good of an indicator of sail trim.

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
In response to Don's message on fractional rigs and tell tails, I would like to know your opinion on telltales for gaff rigged cat-boat with a single sail. I have difficulty using the telltales as as good of an indicator of sail trim.
I would place tell tales on the leach of the sail, maybe 4 along the length of the leach. When they are streaming, they are indicators of smooth flow off the leach. When fluttering, they indicate turbulence at the leach. Stable flow off the leach is one indicator of proper sail trim for the conditions..

Jul 22, 2013
Thanks, as you can see I have an American flag sewn in on the leach, but it is often back winded on a reach. I think lower lighter temp tales may be helpful, I will give it a try. Can't wait for spring!

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I am going to guess you did not review the Gentry article. It is not too long and it will tell you how to set up the telltales on a sail then how to interpret what they are telling you.

You need to focus on the mainsail for trimming but the Genoa for the T data point. You can use the same "T" data point to identify how and where to place the telltales to give you information on how to get the best from your sail. Follow the instructions on how to trim a boat when Gentry first boards a new boat.

Jul 22, 2013
I did read this article (now) and like most it is about sail trim of a two sails with a fore sail to bring wind to the main. I will try adding tell tails to the leach the flag is not always a good indicator if not close hauled.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Since you are experimenting, the front of the cat sail acts like the jib on a sloop. The T mark on the jib image should serve the same for you on your cat rig. It is about balancing the wind on both sides of the sail. As the wind moving over the lee side changes you'll start to see the sail stall, the boat slows. The concepts of boundary layer and the area of disturbance on the leach are similar and managing the way the sail is trimmed are relevant.

May 14, 2019
CORONADO 23-2 Home
IMHO the best tells are located in the pocket of your sail, usually about 1/3 of the width at the foot, this gives you wind direction in the pocket of your sail. telling back or up and back is good, straight up or limp and you are sheeted in to much. Most Hobies tells are set up this way. Just my two cents worth, and they should be fairly light weight. lighter the more sensitive. Thanks!

Jul 22, 2013
sailing season is upon us in West Michigan. I am working on her and will add some tell tales to the leach and in the pocket and see if it can trim better this year.