CAT 310 OIL CHANGE

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

john dewey

Here it is oil change time again. Does anyone have a quick and neat way to accomplish this oily task? I use a Jabsco hand pump attached to the oil pan hose assembly and have to pump for about 15 minutes to get the entire pan empty. Thanks for any help!

G

Gary

I use an oil pump that attaches to a standard hand drill motor; purchased the pump for under $10 at Home Depot. Purchased brass plumbing fittings to convert from the 3/8-inch male pipe threads at the oil pan drain hose to connect to the pump body (which is male garden hose threads). On the other side of the pump is a short length of hose that goes into a 1-gallon jug to catch the used oil. Warm up the engine for 10-15 minutes. Shut it down; hook up the pump and mine pumps dry in just a minute or two while you hold the drill motor, with little mess (even thou I have towels and a Rubbermaid shallow tub and rags down to catch any drops. On the oil filter, I place shop paper towels underneath it and don't waste time once I start to unscrew it. Good Luck and Happy Sailing, Gary C310 #230 "Rhythm"

jlp

Jul 27, 2005
Catalina 30mkIII Portland
Oil change

Have had good success with Oil Boy™ Fluid Extractor Kit(West Marine) It extracts crankcase contents cleanly and quickly. Loosen the oil filter and then put a plastic bag around it to catch oil before removing. Jeff http://home.teleport.com/~salmo/

Jon W.

May 18, 2004
Catalina 310 C310 Seattle Wa
Oil Boy also

I also use a brass theaded connector to attatch the pan drain hose to the Oil Boy. Takes about 5 minutes, and not a drop spilled.

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
Wrap some....

electrical tape around the oil drain tube and the black hand pump tube before you pump. This will cut your pumping time by 75%. If you don't "Seal" around the black suction tube your sucking air! I do this with 3M Super 33 tape becuase it's quite stretchy and fills the gap. Also make sure your oil is warm!! These two things will make oil changing very easy. I change my oil every 25 hours and the filter & oil every 50 hours. When your done fill a bowl with a lot of Joy diswashing detergent and a little water & pump your pump clean through a oil absorbing pad over a bucket. This removes the oil from the hand pump and allows only the soapy water to drain into the bucket any oil is caught in the oil pads. When your done drop and oil pad in the bucket to pick up any ramaining oil and dispose of the soapy water... Easy & done.....

Status
Not open for further replies.