Cat 310 Bulkhead burning question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 25, 2004
Catalina 310 Hilton Head
Has anyone that had acutal damage from this been able to recoup any monies from Catalina? I emailed them two weeks ago and have not yet received a response.

Dec 2, 2003
Catalina 350 Seattle
Many people would swear that Catalina does not do email. Your best bet it to a) directly dial and ask for Frank Butler - leave a message if necessary and he WILL call you back, or b) write a letter directly to Frank Butler and he will personally respond. No foolin'

Good Luck!
Tim Brogan
April IV C350 #68
Seattle

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
Has anyone that had acutal damage from this been able to recoup any monies from Catalina? I emailed them two weeks ago and have not yet received a response.
No and I did not like the answer I got from Gerry on this. I sold my boat. We sailed for about ten hours in 30-35 knots and the bulkhead worked itself into the hull so hard it was crushed in spots and the whole thing was cocked and some screws bent. On the exterior you could see a slight hull deformation..

Frank told me they had a fix and then never called back even after multiple calls. When I called and spoke with Gerry I was told this was indeed a noted problem and that we would have to work through warranty. Frank is warranty and he never called back nor did I get reimbursed for the deck void repairs I had done. I finally gave up. From what I was told by Gerry this only affected a "few" of the early hulls but mine was a 2005...:confused::confused:

If you're a squeaky wheel you'll eventually get greased... Keep at it and good luck..

Dec 25, 2008
catalina 310 Elk River
I bet with the condition of the marine industry Catalina is in big trouble, their warranty claims are probably the least of their problems, just ask Brahmany. He gets no responce from them reguarding his systemic drive shaft alignment issues on his new C320.

Sep 29, 2008
Catalina 310 #185 Quantico
2 Different Problems?

We sailed for about ten hours in 30-35 knots and the bulkhead worked itself into the hull so hard it was crushed in spots and the whole thing was cocked and some screws bent. On the exterior you could see a slight hull deformation..

Frank told me they had a fix and then never called back even after multiple calls. When I called and spoke with Gerry I was told this was indeed a noted problem and that we would have to work through warranty. Frank is warranty and he never called back nor did I get reimbursed for the deck void repairs I had done. I finally gave up. From what I was told by Gerry this only affected a "few" of the early hulls but mine was a 2005...:confused::confused:
As I understand it there is/was a bulkhead burning issue and there is also an issue with the forward bulkhead being a little short (or it is the mast support?). Aside from all the Universal/transmission and shaft alignment problems. I am feeling pretty lucky as I don't think I have experienced any of these.

Feb 6, 1998
As I understand it there is/was a bulkhead burning issue and there is also an issue with the forward bulkhead being a little short (or it is the mast support?). Aside from all the Universal/transmission and shaft alignment problems. I am feeling pretty lucky as I don't think I have experienced any of these.
When I had my issue Gerry & Frank swore it was not an "issue". I did not require the compression post spacer like the early ones did.

I suspect that the screwed bulkhead in conjunction with the large door opening, and the inhherent flex of these boats in heavy weather is what caused mine to begin tweaking and deforming against the hull. Mine actually physically moved an many of the screws were cocked, where they had once gone in straight..

Sep 29, 2008
Interesting

Had not head that one before. How rough was it? They do advertise these as a coastal boat, but I can't imagine that kind of problem, even in really rough seas.

Feb 6, 1998
Had not head that one before. How rough was it? They do advertise these as a coastal boat, but I can't imagine that kind of problem, even in really rough seas.
Not what I'd consider rough enough to cause this kind of issue. It was short & steep but not over 5 or 6 feet. I sailed my C-36 in rougher and never had a problem like this. I never really pursued it further as I was selling the boat anyway. I did manage to get the bulkhead to sit nearly straight again when it was on the hard. I initially though it was perhaps cut wrong but then was told this could not happen.

Sep 29, 2008
Interesting

I was in some rough water in the Potomac once, but we had no problems. I believe all their components at Catalina are cut using templates so it is hard to imagine it was cut wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.