Cat-30 Stanchion Repair

Aug 17, 2017
Catalina Catalina 30 MKII 5346 Melbourne Yacht Club
There is severe cracking on my 1988 Catalina 30 around the mid-ship stanchion, starboard side. I'm about to remove it, repair the cracks, and reinstall. Can anyone tell me what's underneath?
1) I've heard there may be an aluminum plate embedded in the deck. Can anyone confirm?
2) The screws do not go through the deck. I'd like to replace the existing screws and go through the deck and a backing plate, but any through-drilling will be exploratory (and hence a little scary). Can anyone give guidance on how close to the hull joint that's likely to be?
The stanchion base appears to have only two screws, which seems odd.
Thanks!

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
You should be able to at least see the brace's two nuts under the deck. I would concentrate on reinforcing that part.... assuming you'll have access. However, before you do anything, call Garhaurer Marine to discuss your situation. Over the years they have provided OEM and retro fitted hardware for Catalina sailboats. They are able to fill custom requests. You might get lucky and find they can redesign that funky base bracket to something a bit more robust. They built a replacement set of upgraded stanchions for me a few years back... at a very good price I should add. It's worth a phone call, for sure.

• Helpful
Nov 15, 2014
Catalina 30T 5830 Green Bay
I have a different stanchion base (see pic). The stanchion itself has 3/4" threaded rod attached to it - this goes through the deck and is secured with a nut/washers. No backing and no plates embedded in the edge. The bracket base is also bolted through the deck. No backing other than washers. 2 years ago I removed them all, enlarged the "cavity" between the deck skins, fill with somewhat thickened epoxy, then drilled new bolt holes. Used butyl rubber under the pads on the deck. If you haven't started this project yet, here is what I encountered (maybe it will help/maybe not):
1) At some locations, including the one you are speaking of, it was very difficult to get to the nuts. Both the 3/4" nut and 1/4" nuts.
2) You'll want to remove the settee shelves and the panel board.
3) In order to access the 3/4" nut, I did have to grind away some of the top of the hull (inside). My assumption is that, when built, the stanchions are mounted to the deck before the deck is connected to the hull. The location of the side of the hull in relation to the deck varies a little at each stanchion.
4) If I could get them in place, I did install fender washers against the underside, with regular and lock washer beneath the nut. I pretty confident with their stability. I think the stanchion itself would bend before the deck would be damaged (especially with the additional epoxy core at the bolt holes.
5) Starboard side was a pain in the butt. Port side easier. At the electrical panel, I had to cut holes in the fiberglass that holds the teak trim in order to access the nuts.

Hope this helps.

BTW - the pic was taken before we purchased the boat. The cleat was removed and the gunwale repaired before we took ownership. Lousy place for a cleat. No backing and I would say almost impossible to put decent backing at that location.

Attachments

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
George.. That looks like a stanchion with a single bolt that runs down through the gunnel. You could confirm if you find a nut with a washer when you look up at the bottom of the deck joint from inside the boat The screws look to be only to stabilize the stanchion. Unless the screws are well sealed they will be a source of water intrusion and likely weaken/soften the deck.

Best approach when dealing with a loose stanchion is to remove it. deal with any damage involving the glass. Prepare the area to be water tight and then reinstall the stanchion. This may have been done when the cleat and glass was repaired. They may not have tightened the stanchion back properly.

Nov 15, 2014
Catalina 30T 5830 Green Bay
Hey John - I did remove and reinstall all of the stanchions. Enlarged holes between skins, filled with epoxy, redrilled holes - core sealed. Butyl rubber for sealant.