cat.30 mainsheet

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

patrick e

Ii just purchased a cat 30. '87. i love it for a number of reasons but the problem i have is the mainsheet arrangment. i am used to controling the mainsheet from the end of the boom and find i am a bit unsettled with it being mid boom. anyone have any ideas on bringing the line closer to where i feel i have more control. it also is led to a jam cleat that i find to be unsafe. maybe i need to get used to a bigger boat and not have to be fooling with the mainsheet but if anyone has any advise i am here to learn. thanks

R

Richard

when you figure it out let me know

I have a 1982 catalina 30 and need a damn winch to sheet in, yet I can grab the end of the boom and pull it in by hand! The problem is all the damn blocks to lead the line aft and under the dodger.

L

LaDonna Bubak - Planet Catalina

I think you're right

You may just have to get used to sailing the bigger boat. I find that on my C27 I'm constantly adjusting the main sheet but when we sailed Rob's C30, we didn't need to as much. His was led aft thru a jam cleat & never had a problem with it unjamming. Just the opposite actually. It was just under the dodger & was a huge pain to pop out (for me anyway). You could always add a stopper (I can't recall the technical name of it) before the jam cleat for added safety. That's what we did on my boat. I led it thru the stopper cleat (where you have to pull down on the lever to cleat it off) and then to the jam cleat. That way you can release the pressure slowly & still keep control of it. I like the control of it aft but the liveability of mid-boom sheeting is awfully nice! LaDonna

Status
Not open for further replies.