Case of the Damps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 26, 2007
Norsea 27 Cleveland
This summer we've noticed various small amounts of water loitering around on the sole near the ladder when we arrive at the boat. Sometimes it's just a few drips, once or twice a small puddle. The puddles finally kicked me into gear to find out the source. At first I suspect a blocked cooler drain, as the moisture is in the galley. Test pours showed unrestricted flow to the bilge. Hmmm. Follow the drips. The stove??? My first fear was a hull/deck joint leak that was finding an exit behind the stove somehow. It turns out that it's not that.

Anyone want to take a guess as to the culprit?

Jan 26, 2007
Norsea 27 Cleveland
The forward most portlights do collect water, but they only pee if you open them while wet. The ones by the galley don't have that problem. Nor do the main hatches or the companionway hatchboards. As for pets, only if our pet spiders can excrete their body weight in fluids many times over in a short period of time. I'll post the answer tomorrow afternoon.

Jan 26, 2007
Norsea 27 Cleveland
Nope, not coming in through the deck. It's definitely an internal source. I'll give it another hour or so. If no takers I'll reveal the answer. I suspect someone out there has had a similar problem, particularly this summer. For some reason I think old J-boats have this kind of problem in their sparely appointed cabins.

Jul 28, 2010
Boston Whaler Montauk New Orleans
Nope, not coming in through the deck. It's definitely an internal source. I'll give it another hour or so. If no takers I'll reveal the answer. I suspect someone out there has had a similar problem, particularly this summer. For some reason I think old J-boats have this kind of problem in their sparely appointed cabins.
Condensation?

LPG or gas hose coming through to the stove? (if you have one)

Jan 26, 2007
Norsea 27 Cleveland
Yes, thank you - condensation. The source and return for the evaporator run behind the stove on their way to/from the cooler. Though they are both insulated (as I recall) they are building up excessive condensation that drips water into the pan below the stove, and it eventually finds its way to the sole, right in front of the cooler door. I don't really understand why it's leaking more this summer. It hasn't leaked that much before that we've seen. The only thing I can guess is that the extended high temps and high humidity have produced more condensation ripe conditions. We're debating now about whether to just leave the cooler off while we're not at the boat, or try to rig a drain from the stove pan to the bilge. The latter is much preferred as we don't really live on the boat, so turning the refer on when we get there isn't really going to buy us much of anything. We could also run it from the clutch as we motor out, but that's generally not much time either. We'd be down to using it only for cruising, and not as cold storage for our typical sailing days.

Aug 16, 2010
none none none
Is it small enough amount of water just to lay down a thick towel to soak up and help dissipate the pooled condensation? Yes...very annoying to see water inside.

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
I had condensation appearing on the top of the refrigerator. The culprit was the unusually high humidity we've experienced this year. I've had top wipe it off every day.

I can't access the back side of the unit so I can only guess as to what could be going on back there. The bilge is staying really dry, so there can't be much dripping down from behind.

Its obvious that there is not much insulation around the refrigerator...

Jul 28, 2010
Boston Whaler Montauk New Orleans
Is it small enough amount of water just to lay down a thick towel to soak up and help dissipate the pooled condensation? Yes...very annoying to see water inside.
Huggies diapers work very well. On an old sailboat I had, there would be just a little moisture accumulate. I'd leave a couple of diapers in the bilge, and a week or so later, I'd go to the boat, throw out the wet diapers, and have a perfectly dry bilge.

Jan 26, 2007
Norsea 27 Cleveland
I have a towel now to prevent water leaving the stove pan and pooling on the sole. Huggies sounds like a good idea too. Unfortunately I believe water sat too long. I have some bubbles in the corner where the sole meets the cabinet. I'm hoping when I go back to get a better look I'll find that it's just in the finish. It sort of had that bubbled varnish look to it, rather than wholesale delamination. Water condensing and possibly collecting back where you can't see - now that's a disturbing thought.

Aug 16, 2010
none none none
I have a towel now to prevent water leaving the stove pan and pooling on the sole. Huggies sounds like a good idea too. Unfortunately I believe water sat too long. I have some bubbles in the corner where the sole meets the cabinet. I'm hoping when I go back to get a better look I'll find that it's just in the finish. It sort of had that bubbled varnish look to it, rather than wholesale delamination. Water condensing and possibly collecting back where you can't see - now that's a disturbing thought.

I've been told to use a blow dryer on low heat to help remove the bubbles and try to re-activate the glue underneath. I've not tried this myself....but the idea seems sound.

Jan 26, 2007
Norsea 27 Cleveland
I've been told to use a blow dryer on low heat to help remove the bubbles and try to re-activate the glue underneath. I've not tried this myself....but the idea seems sound.
Thanks, that sounds like something worth trying.

Status
Not open for further replies.