Carrabelle Florida to Port St. Joe for a week

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 2, 2008
Island Packet 31 Brunswick, Ga
We spent one more night in the marina and unloaded everything this morning. What a great trip. We had Recess pulled and she is sitting at the marina mast up awaiting our next adventure.
I am glad you had a great time. And that you are safe. I would like to be able to swing by the marina one day when you are there. Just to hear some tips and advice and to look around. I sure hope that next spring we are doing something like you. it sure seems a big step and i don't really know where to start.
keith:confused:

RECESS

Dec 20, 2003
Pearson 323 . St. Mary's Georgia
Keith,

Carrabelle is a nice place to sail from. There is Dog Island and a lot of deep protected water to sail in. There is also St George Island and Apalachicola is just 20 nm away and a real nice sail. We would love for you to come over. I will have to check if you are going to be around when we sail for New Orleans in June.

Dec 8, 2006
Oday 26 Starr, SC
Keith said, "

Keith,

Carrabelle is a nice place to sail from. There is Dog Island and a lot of deep protected water to sail in. There is also St George Island and Apalachicola is just 20 nm away and a real nice sail. We would love for you to come over. I will have to check if you are going to be around when we sail for New Orleans in June.
Keith said, " it sure seems a big step and i don't really know where to start."

There are two ways you can start. One is put your boat on trailer, hook up tow vehicle and head south. Appliclachiacola has a public ramp under the Hwy 98 bridge.

Alternatively, get tent with sleeping bags in car and head to St. Joseph's State Park. Requires reservations. There is also ramp at St. Joseph's State Park, but requires back country reservations if you want to sleep in boat.

However, all the above will require change in political affilation and beliefs.

Ed K

Attachments

RECESS

Dec 20, 2003
The ramp at White City on the ICW is free and a nice place to get your bearings. Electric and water are free. As long as you do not take up residence, you are made to feel very welcomed for 2 or three days. It is located right between St Joe and Apalachicola.

Or there are a lot of free ramps in Carrabelle.

Pic of the White City facility, all free of charge and much better ramps than anything in Port St Joe or Apalachicola.

Attachments

Jun 3, 2004
Oday and Catalina O'Day 25 and Catalina 30 Milwaukee
Dave,

I've enjoyed your postings. Thanks for keeping us updated about your trip. I'm just wondering what you tow your 25 with? I had an Expedition that I towed the 222 with before it got totaled a couple of years back (no boat in tow at the time thank goodness). Now that I've got the larger boat, I will eventually need a tow vehicle so I'm interested in what some long distance hauler's use.

Note that my 25 is probably a little heavier than yours because it has an inboard diesel.

Thanks,

Dave
O'Days 222 and 25

Oct 2, 2008
The ramp at White City on the ICW is free and a nice place to get your bearings. Electric and water are free. As long as you do not take up residence, you are made to feel very welcomed for 2 or three days. It is located right between St Joe and Apalachicola.

Or there are a lot of free ramps in Carrabelle.

Pic of the White City facility, all free of charge and much better ramps than anything in Port St Joe or Apalachicola.
I see white city on the map. It looks like a good safe place to put in. I'm going to be able to go back down in a couple of weeks. I would like to see how user friendly the Tyndall AFB marina is also.

Oct 2, 2008
Keith said, " it sure seems a big step and i don't really know where to start."

There are two ways you can start. One is put your boat on trailer, hook up tow vehicle and head south. Appliclachiacola has a public ramp under the Hwy 98 bridge.

Alternatively, get tent with sleeping bags in car and head to St. Joseph's State Park. Requires reservations. There is also ramp at St. Joseph's State Park, but requires back country reservations if you want to sleep in boat.

However, all the above will require change in political affilation and beliefs.

Ed K
Ed,
You promised not to tell anyone that I was a gay radical Muslim Glen Beck hating illegal immigrant from Kenya who works for planned parenthood and drinks organic herbal tea from an NPR mug while driving to my abortion mill in a Prius with a Obama 2012 bumper sticker.

Dec 8, 2006
Oday 26 Starr, SC
Catfish for supper

I see white city on the map. It looks like a good safe place to put in. I'm going to be able to go back down in a couple of weeks. I would like to see how user friendly the Tyndall AFB marina is also.
Keith,

Have you told your wife?

In the meantime, anybody have recommendations on Chart Plotter GPS's?

That is a GPS that is used to navigate off shore? with coastal charts. My handhelp does not accept bouy's and off shore maps. I need to move up the ladder.

Ed K

Attachments

Oct 2, 2008
Keith,

Have you told your wife?

That is a GPS that is used to navigate off shore? with coastal charts. My handhelp does not accept bouy's and off shore maps. I need to move up the ladder.

Ed K
God no, She'd leave me if she knew I drank herbal tea....

RECESS

Dec 20, 2003
Dave,

I've enjoyed your postings. Thanks for keeping us updated about your trip. I'm just wondering what you tow your 25 with? I had an Expedition that I towed the 222 with before it got totaled a couple of years back (no boat in tow at the time thank goodness). Now that I've got the larger boat, I will eventually need a tow vehicle so I'm interested in what some long distance hauler's use.

Note that my 25 is probably a little heavier than yours because it has an inboard diesel.

Thanks,

Dave
O'Days 222 and 25
Dave,

I haul with a Dodge 1500. It is really not enough to pull the boat up a slick ramp. I have surfed up a ramp a little pulling it. The marina I am keeping it at pulls it out for $12.50. We figured that we save that much driving the car down there and back. I have friends that do really well with 2500s, 4 wheel drive is really nice. If you can find a marina that will tow it down the ramp for for a small fee, it is nice.

I know a couple people that anchor in the Crooked Island area and there is a down side. The Air base will shut down areas because of training runs. There are times where they have to askk all recreational vesels to leave the area. They are very nice about it and try and give as much lead time as possible, but the training missions come first.

Keith,

Have you told your wife?

Ed K
I would just recomend getting a chartplotter that is preloaded. I bought a Humminbird 785c2i preloaded with Navionics Gold for about $285 3 years ago, it was like paying full price for the Navionics and getting the chartploter for free.

My trip log, don't expect much.

We got a late start Sunday and ended up getting eaten alive with No See Ums while launching. It was already dusk and dark by the time we got out on St George Sound. It was pitch black. I kept thinking if my chartplotter goes out, I do not know these waters good enough to get to Shippers Cove in this dark of a night. We got there and after setting anchor, we put Mico down for the night. Another great night on anchor.

The next day we built a Smokkey Joe while listening to Mechanical Mike break the news that a storm was coming Monday night - Tuesday morning.

So we hoisted the main reefed and made it back in. Safe at The Moorings waiting for the storm. Left the hatch open to watch the lightening flashed that night.

We headed out the next day and sailed main only for Apalachicola. Mad a good 4.5 knots. Thought about raising a genoa but Ivy and were happy with 4.5 to 5 knots sustained.

Approaching St George bridge, nice sight after hours of sailing.

Can someone say Spanish Mackeral for dinner? We caught 2 coming into Appalachicola bay.

Entering the Apalachicola river just past the bridge.

Going thu the railroad bridge.

Entering Lake Wimico.... Mico found it cool that his name is in the name of the lake.

A very happy first mate.

Approaching White City. This was a great lay over.

White City sign after mom and Mico went for some hand scooped ice cream.

Settled for the night and ready to enjoy that fish dinner. Great cleaning stations here.

The ditch to St Joe.

Sailing to the tip of Cape San Blas. Just as we anchored there the wind really kicked up so we decided to go on to Eagle Harbor rather tan dinghy in the wind.

After getting into Eagle Harbor we sent the first mate to bailk out the dinghy. I am sure there is a law against this.

Eagle Harbor on anchor.

Going ashore for much needed time on the beach and playing. We found after calling the Ranger Station and asking permission to anchor for the night that because the winds were really blowing in the bay, there is no charge to enter the park and use the facilities when it is for safe harbor.

The next morning just before leaving Eagle Harbor.

We sailied back to the tip of Cape San Blas and exploring.

Cooking some dogs at the cape.

Finding a Ladybug while exploring.

We made our way back to White City and Mico found some friends to fish with. We caught another Spanish Mackeral leaving Eagle Harbor.

Hanging out with some Cruisers, the gentleman sitting next to me in the red shirt has been cruising with hs wife and sons for three years now. We joined them for dinner on their 41 Morgan Outlander.

Sailing back and flying a kite, we again had the wind to our stern for the trip back.

Daves favorite sailing position.

Making 5.5 knots with just the standard Jib.

Once it got really sunny we broke out the $20 umbrella. It held up in while sailing 5 knots.

Putting Recess up at The Moorings after a great trip.

Dec 8, 2006
Oday 26 Starr, SC
Congratulations

Dave,

I haul with a Dodge 1500. It is really not enough to pull the boat up a slick ramp. I have surfed up a ramp a little pulling it. The marina I am keeping it at pulls it out for $12.50. We figured that we save that much driving the car down there and back. I have friends that do really well with 2500s, 4 wheel drive is really nice. If you can find a marina that will tow it down the ramp for for a small fee, it is nice.

I know a couple people that anchor in the Crooked Island area and there is a down side. The Air base will shut down areas because of training runs. There are times where they have to askk all recreational vesels to leave the area. They are very nice about it and try and give as much lead time as possible, but the training missions come first.

I would just recomend getting a chartplotter that is preloaded. I bought a Humminbird 785c2i preloaded with Navionics Gold for about $285 3 years ago, it was like paying full price for the Navionics and getting the chartploter for free.

My trip log, don't expect much.

We got a late start Sunday and ended up getting eaten alive with No See Ums while launching. It was already dusk and dark by the time we got out on St George Sound. It was pitch black. I kept thinking if my chartplotter goes out, I do not know these waters good enough to get to Shippers Cove in this dark of a night. We got there and after setting anchor, we put Mico down for the night. Another great night on anchor.

The next day we built a Smokkey Joe while listening to Mechanical Mike break the news that a storm was coming Monday night - Tuesday morning.

So we hoisted the main reefed and made it back in. Safe at The Moorings waiting for the storm. Left the hatch open to watch the lightening flashed that night.

We headed out the next day and sailed main only for Apalachicola. Mad a good 4.5 knots. Thought about raising a genoa but Ivy and were happy with 4.5 to 5 knots sustained.

Approaching St George bridge, nice sight after hours of sailing.

Can someone say Spanish Mackeral for dinner? We caught 2 coming into Appalachicola bay.

Entering the Apalachicola river just past the bridge.

Going thu the railroad bridge.

Entering Lake Wimico.... Mico found it cool that his name is in the name of the lake.

A very happy first mate.

Approaching White City. This was a great lay over.

White City sign after mom and Mico went for some hand scooped ice cream.

Settled for the night and ready to enjoy that fish dinner. Great cleaning stations here.

The ditch to St Joe.

Sailing to the tip of Cape San Blas. Just as we anchored there the wind really kicked up so we decided to go on to Eagle Harbor rather tan dinghy in the wind.

After getting into Eagle Harbor we sent the first mate to bailk out the dinghy. I am sure there is a law against this.

Eagle Harbor on anchor.

Going ashore for much needed time on the beach and playing. We found after calling the Ranger Station and asking permission to anchor for the night that because the winds were really blowing in the bay, there is no charge to enter the park and use the facilities when it is for safe harbor.

The next morning just before leaving Eagle Harbor.

We sailied back to the tip of Cape San Blas and exploring.

Cooking some dogs at the cape.

Finding a Ladybug while exploring.

We made our way back to White City and Mico found some friends to fish with. We caught another Spanish Mackeral leaving Eagle Harbor.

Hanging out with some Cruisers, the gentleman sitting next to me in the red shirt has been cruising with hs wife and sons for three years now. We joined them for dinner on their 41 Morgan Outlander.

Sailing back and flying a kite, we again had the wind to our stern for the trip back.

Daves favorite sailing position.

Making 5.5 knots with just the standard Jib.

Once it got really sunny we broke out the $20 umbrella. It held up in while sailing 5 knots.

Putting Recess up at The Moorings after a great trip.

Great job on a great sail....

Thanks for the posting...

Ed K

RECESS

Dec 20, 2003
It was a good trip and every time we do another, it makes us aware of how to better provision and plan. It makes you feel really good to know instantly where your nearest safe harbor is going to be when it starts to get rough. One thing is for sure, if you are going to go any distance or stay out awhile, it is going to get rough at some point.

Status
Not open for further replies.