Careening Boat/centerboard repair

May 31, 2023
O'Day Daysailer 3 Richmond, VA
Hello all,
I'll be tipping my boat in my backyard today so I can work on the center board. Any advice? Mast on or off? What kind of safety measures have you used? Maybe you have another suggestion on securing the boat so I can work on the centerboard beneath the boat.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Leave the mast on, just watch above you. The mast will give you a lot of leverage to get the boat over.

Use the main halyard or tie a line to the top of the mast and pull the boat over. If you have a couple of board to rest the gunwales on it will keep the boat from sinking into the ground. Once the boat is on its side, secure the masthead with something heavy enough to keep it from rising. I used a big concrete building block. When it is time to right the boat, slowly ease the line off the block and try to let the mast right slowly. This sounds easier than it is, once the mast is close to vertical the person holding the line won't be able to control it. A person who can catch the gunnel as it comes down and help to slow the boat's righting will be helpful. Padding the ground will also help.

Not hard, a bit anxiety provoking the first few times you do it.

May 31, 2023
O'Day Daysailer 3 Richmond, VA
Leave the mast on, just watch above you. The mast will give you a lot of leverage to get the boat over.

Use the main halyard or tie a line to the top of the mast and pull the boat over. If you have a couple of board to rest the gunwales on it will keep the boat from sinking into the ground. Once the boat is on its side, secure the masthead with something heavy enough to keep it from rising. I used a big concrete building block. When it is time to right the boat, slowly ease the line off the block and try to let the mast right slowly. This sounds easier than it is, once the mast is close to vertical the person holding the line won't be able to control it. A person who can catch the gunnel as it comes down and help to slow the boat's righting will be helpful. Padding the ground will also help.

Not hard, a bit anxiety provoking the first few times you do it.
Thanks dlochner! Sounds good.