Care and Feeding of Oceanis 343.

Jun 20, 2021
Beneteau 343 Fort Lauderdale
Is there a good manual? I found a 28 pager online which seems amazingly lightweight, but it does give me an idea where to start looking. I thought it would be more like a auto owner's manual where every last button and knob is documented.

Jun 20, 2021
Thanks! Does the forum prefer a running thread as a newbie grinds through repairs on the hard? Or should I just create new threads for different questions.

My next question is how I determine the health of my batteries? They look like large lead acid, but have people moved to lithium ion or similar. I'm already on updating the lighting to LED. The halogens throw off a lot of heat.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
.......Does the forum prefer a running thread as a newbie grinds through repairs on the hard? Or should I just create new threads for different questions.......
Good question for the moderator..........but I would think a separate thread that included the subject matter in the title since that makes it easy to do a search on the title.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
............how I determine the health of my batteries? They look like large lead acid, but have people moved to lithium ion or similar. I'm already on updating the lighting to LED. The halogens throw off a lot of heat.
Checking lead acid battery health: Using A Multimeter Check an auto lead acid battery's Cells - Bing video. You will find lots of advise on the best type of batteries, which is a popular topic. You can use the search function on "batteries" on this forum and you will find plenty of threads. I am not making recommendation but I use Lifefline high amp-hr AGM's on my boat. One reason is that I do not want check the battery acid level since I am often gone from the boat during the winter months.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Is there a good manual? more like a auto owner's manual where every last button and knob is documented.
You will find basic information in the Beneteau manual; however, nothing as detailed as an auto manual. You may have received a supplemental folder from previous owner that includes all OEM equipment manuals for components that were installed when the boat was manufactured. Those manuals will provide the details that you are looking for. The Beneteau manual does not have operational details as compared to the OEM manuals. If you didn't get the OEM manuals, ask the previous owner if they are available.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Welcome to the SBO Forum @sunlover ..
Congrats on your boat.
Would encourage you to post each of your queries in a separate thread. It is easier for searches of "batteries" if you post a battery query than if you include a battery question in a message about your boat and your exploration "repairing a mature boat".

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
My next question is how I determine the health of my batteries? They look like large lead acid, but have people moved to lithium ion or similar.
Welcome to SBO & congrats on your new boat. Don't hesitate to reach out if you need help!

Just out of curiosity, how many batteries do you have for the house bank? Do you have a dedicated battery for the engine starter battery?
What size batteries are installed...Gp 29, 31, or 4D? Lead acid wet cell batteries will have screw caps on top that allow for checking the electrolyte levels and provision for adding distilled water as the fluid level evaporates. Gel cells & AGM's are sealed. Bank size / capacity depends on how many accessories you are using (how much DC power consumed), method of charging, and how much time you spend away from the dock. I have one Gp 31 (105 amps) for the starter bank and three Gp 31s (315 amps) for the house bank. I previously chartered a 343 that had a house bank of two 4D batteries. If your boat is equipped with an Isotherm fridge/freezer, it really consumes lots of energy that requires a larger house bank.
I am using Duracell AGMs purchased from Sam's Club. Not the best marine batteries; however, the cost is reasonable. Lithium Ion was not an option because of the cost.

Jun 20, 2021
Welcome to SBO & congrats on your new boat. Don't hesitate to reach out if you need help!

Just out of curiosity, how many batteries do you have for the house bank? Do you have a dedicated battery for the engine starter battery?
What size batteries are installed...Gp 29, 31, or 4D? Lead acid wet cell batteries will have screw caps on top that allow for checking the electrolyte levels and provision for adding distilled water as the fluid level evaporates. Gel cells & AGM's are sealed. Bank size / capacity depends on how many accessories you are using (how much DC power consumed), method of charging, and how much time you spend away from the dock. I have one Gp 31 (105 amps) for the starter bank and three Gp 31s (315 amps) for the house bank. I previously chartered a 343 that had a house bank of two 4D batteries. If your boat is equipped with an Isotherm fridge/freezer, it really consumes lots of energy that requires a larger house bank.
I am using Duracell AGMs purchased from Sam's Club. Not the best marine batteries; however, the cost is reasonable. Lithium Ion was not an option because of the cost.
I have two large batteries. I suspect they are gel and they look, well, new. I haven't found an engine battery yet if there is one. I suspect it runs off the house batteries.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
. I haven't found an engine battery yet if there is one. I suspect it runs off the house batteries.
Probably not. Engine battery is under bottom step on companionway ladder. You should have 3 battery switches ,adjacent to hanging locker, in aft berth.
One negative (black) switch and two red switches. The red switch closer to engine is for the engine bank, the one closer to the hanging locker is the house bank. That’s the factory configuration. If yours is different, previous owner may have rewired.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Probably not. Engine battery is under bottom step on companionway ladder. You should have 3 battery switches ,adjacent to hanging locker, in aft berth.
One negative (black) switch and two red switches. The red switch closer to engine is for the engine bank, the one closer to the hanging locker is the house bank. That’s the factory configuration. If yours is different, previous owner may have rewired.
That sounds like the B323, also.