carbon filter for the water

Dec 28, 2016
Beneteau Oceanis 400 Auckland
Hello All

Do you use a carbon filter in your (drinking) water supply?
What's the best recommendation for this, simply a inline carbon filter? Or are there other 2 stage options and if so is there an issue with over-taxing the pump?

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
Lots of people put in-line filters on their tank(s). Back pressure on most isn't a concern.

Consider the greatest benefits of these common carbon filters is two-fold:
1. Removes odor and taste, and
2. Provides a false sense of safety.

Most home improvement store bought filters are ineffective at removing the 'stuff' that can cause illness. And even if they did, these chemicals and pathogens would simply accumulate in the filter creating worse problems.

Use bottled water, beer, wine or a good scotch, not necessarily in that order.

Dec 28, 2016
Beneteau Oceanis 400 Auckland
Lots of people put in-line filters on their tank(s). Back pressure on most isn't a concern.

Consider the greatest benefits of these common carbon filters is two-fold:
1. Removes odor and taste, and
2. Provides a false sense of safety.

Most home improvement store bought filters are ineffective at removing the 'stuff' that can cause illness. And even if they did, these chemicals and pathogens would simply accumulate in the filter creating worse problems.

I'll be sure to CLEAN any filter in that case, if I get one at all.
Incidentally, I do have a backup supply of wine & single malt.

Sep 25, 2008
Just noticed your home port - Steinlager is my favorite substitute. Don't know why it's so popular with Americans but I'm a great customer when I can find it.

Cleaning pathogens and viruses from a carbon filter on a boat would be a scientific breakthrough.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
You don't need filtered water to wash dishes, wash your face, shower, brush your teeth or--if your toilet is one that uses pressurized fresh water--flush the toilet. So all you really need is a faucet filter on the galley sink. And you might not even need that if you recommission the fresh water system annually using the directions I've posted to this site at least a dozen times and which has be reposted by others at least that many.

Jan 17, 2013
Catalina 310 St. Simons Island, GA
I use a hose with an online filter to fill my water tank to keep particulates out and use 1/2 to 1 oz of bleach to keep the water smelling OK. We do not drink from our water tank but instead use bottled water.
bob

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
:plus: Bourbon and branch water? Does the Bourbon sanitize? After a few, who cares?
______

I have one of these that I use only for Transient Marina water sources, since my current water source is soft and sweet.
https://www.amazon.com/DuPont-WFPF1...rd_wg=7ByVo&psc=1&refRID=D74FM658E1ZEWPM9MM01

We use this filter with the Optional Carbon Filter
https://www.amazon.com/DuPont-WFPFC...rd_wg=U9nH1&psc=1&refRID=NHB3GZNZV02CPSRXGEGY

Nothing worse than mixing High Sulfur, High Chlorine and unknown water in my water tanks.
_______
What motivated me was Chlorine removal, since I have Aluminum Water tanks [slow corrosion].
_______
Residual Chlorine from a well flush (used) shore water line, does little for sanitation in your boat's tanks, after you release the source line pressure. This is the reason most boaters flush and sanitize their tanks, frequently.
Jim...

Jun 4, 2004
Cutter-Rigged Pearson 39 Edgewater, MD
I have an inline carbon filter system and chlorinate my fresh water tanks to kill off any marina bugs. I also use bottled water et al for drinking.

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
#1 Our tanks are fulley cleaned and the system 100% shock sanitized each srping.

#2 Our tanks NEVER have antifreeze in them.

#3 Our water is pre-filtered before it goes in the tank.

#4 The water is treated in the tank.

#5 We use this filter housing on the supply side of the pump;

#6 We use this filter in the housing:

#7 We additionally filter with a Brita on-faucet filter.

#8 We send the water out for testing at least once per season. It has always tested as 100% safe & drinkable..

Nov 8, 2007
Hunter 27_75-84 Sandusky Harbor Marina, Ohio
We have followed Peggie's instructions for 18 summers on Lake Erie, using water from municipal supplies through Marina systems with never a problem. Buy here book on this site, its a real bargain of value over cost!

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
One of the most important steps is to let the water run long enough to clear out all the water that's been sitting in the dock supply line in the summer heat before filling the tank.
Yup. Always take a few minutes to rinse off the deck, anchor, or something before filling. Easy.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Don. My guess is the same tests for a well. Common practice for well water every year.

On further thought you could make friends with some one in your local municipal water department. That could run a test for you.

Sep 25, 2008
Don. My guess is the same tests for a well. Common practice for well water every year.

On further thought you could make friends with some one in your local municipal water department. That could run a test for you.
Therein lies the problem that creates the false sense of security imentioned before.

Most municipalities do the minimum required to meet Federal water quality standards and nothing more. Unfortunately, you could test for those exact analyses on a quart of gasoline and obtain results meeting those standards.

That's why I asked to see the list of analyses people believe keeps them safe. It doesn't.

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
Marinas on islands using their own well water are sources to be avoided. At the first hint of an off odor in your galley or shower, drain and re-shock treat your water and fill with a more reliable mainland municipal supply.

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
Marinas on islands using their own well water are sources to be avoided. At the first hint of an off odor in your galley or shower, drain and re-shock treat your water and fill with a more reliable mainland municipal supply.
This is probably an over reaction.

The cause is typically high sulfate content, which is converted over a few days to sulfide by a few bacteria. If you simply treat with chlorine while loading, the sulfate will stay sulfate, which you cannot smell or taste. The chlorine will also convert sulfides back to sulfate, removing most off tastes and odors. The carbon will remove any chlorine residual. This is a particular problem on islands in seawater, which may have wells affected by seawater intrusion (high sulfate).

Which is not to say you shouldn't always inspect the water before loading. But actual "bad" water in the US is unspeakable rare.

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
Thinwater, very interesting. How should one treat incoming water with chlorine?