Car Accident

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
Well, here's a kick in the pants. Thursday before the Labor Day weekend, and some old lady runs a red light and T-bones me. Right in the driver's door/front fender. Bent the front left wheel, might be a bent or broken axel. She ends up driving away, but admitted what she did and was cited. In my opinion she shouldn't be driving, she was so out of it she was asking me to call her nephew, etc. My car required a tow, and I sincerely hope it won't be totaled! I love that car.

Waiting for a rental - supposed to be available today at about 1:00 p.m.

Sucks!

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Thanks guys. Yea, just a scratch, from my watch band. I bleed a lot. The fireman wrapped a mile of gauze around my arm! They were laughing....

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
People still wear watches?!? Riveting injury.

Glad you're OK, Rich got that right.

Relax and kick back, you've earned it.

You could always say "You should see the other guy..." :yikes:

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
People still wear watches?!? Riveting injury.

Glad you're OK, Rich got that right.

Relax and kick back, you've earned it.

You could always say "You should see the other guy..." :yikes:
Thanks, Stu. I'm so hoping they don't total my car! I love it so. Oh, well. Yea, it was scary when if happened, but no serious injury to anyone, thank goodness.

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
i feel for you. it is a bummer. glad your ok.

lots of fun vehicles out there for a new love affair :)

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
Does your car look anything like this ?

1693605747115.png

Just asking and trying to put a bit of a smile on your face after a kick in the pants (or wrist) like that. If you're that attached to it and they DO get the idea to write it off, maybe see if you can get it repaired privately if the damage is not too severe and in a vital location on the vehicle. The write off value will not buy you a comparable car and I don't know if you're allowed to sue in small claims court (in your area) for the lost value. Good luck with it.

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
It's a great car. A 'crossover,' between a sedan and an SUV. They don't make them anymore, though. It's like a Honda Accord on steroids with a hatchback!
Single guy like you out there "in play" should be driving one of these;)

Attachments

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
Is your car insured by you? You will most likely be working through your insurance company but the at fault driver's insurance should ultimately be paying for all the repairs or replacement of your car. Was it in good shape, low mileage, special equipment, etc? Push them hard to find another car of the same year, make/model with similar mileage or less and actually available to buy, including shipping of that car to you if required. That is the settlement you should get and you should not have to pay your deductible, the at fault party should be liable for that. You don't have to accept their offer right away and you don't have to accept the Blue Book value if that is what they are offering. I recently did that on my car that was rear-ended and since it was "old" and high mileage they totaled it as would be expected. I worked with my insurance company to establish the value and they collected that from the at fault party. I had just put new tires on it and they added that into the value. He told me how they arrived at the value and what cars where used to make the comparison. In this case they will be going after the at fault party so they may be more inclined to act in your behalf, but then again maybe not. Be firm but polite. You get more flies with honey.

Keep in mind that if you "buy back" your totalled car from the insurance company it will have a salvage or rebuilt title and its value will be significantly reduced. You may not be able to get it insured (check with your insurance company on that matter.) Of course, what I have noted will buy you a cup of coffee at a Starbucks so take it for what it is worth.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
C‘Mon @jviss,

live a little!

IMG_3564_Original.jpeg

OK, I love my Subaru Outback because I can carry sails, winter cover, etc. pretty easily…so I get the “hatchback” idea.

But taking my M roadster to the marina for a sail is about as good as it gets:)

Glad you weren’t injured. Cars can be fixed or replaced.

Greg

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Is your car insured by you? You will most likely be working through your insurance company but the at fault driver's insurance should ultimately be paying for all the repairs or replacement of your car. Was it in good shape, low mileage, special equipment, etc? Push them hard to find another car of the same year, make/model with similar mileage or less and actually available to buy, including shipping of that car to you if required. That is the settlement you should get and you should not have to pay your deductible, the at fault party should be liable for that. You don't have to accept their offer right away and you don't have to accept the Blue Book value if that is what they are offering. I recently did that on my car that was rear-ended and since it was "old" and high mileage they totaled it as would be expected. I worked with my insurance company to establish the value and they collected that from the at fault party. I had just put new tires on it and they added that into the value. He told me how they arrived at the value and what cars where used to make the comparison. In this case they will be going after the at fault party so they may be more inclined to act in your behalf, but then again maybe not. Be firm but polite. You get more flies with honey.

Keep in mind that if you "buy back" your totalled car from the insurance company it will have a salvage or rebuilt title and its value will be significantly reduced. You may not be able to get it insured (check with your insurance company on that matter.) Of course, what I have noted will buy you a cup of coffee at a Starbucks so take it for what it is worth.
Great reply, Smokey, thanks!

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
C‘Mon @jviss,

live a little!

View attachment 219487

OK, I love my Subaru Outback because I can carry sails, winter cover, etc. pretty easily…so I get the “hatchback” idea.

Greg
Yea, I was jealous, my son just bought a used, excellent condition Audi S4, supercharged V6, 400HP, 6-speed manual with performance suspension upgrade and big brake upgrade. Cherry red, of course. What a beast! Friend sold it to him for $10k, less than half its value.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
You know, it's interesting, when I'm on my motorcycle, when the light turns green I count to five and 'clear' the intersection before proceeding. If I had done that in the car this wouldn't have happened.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
C‘Mon @jviss,

live a little!

View attachment 219487

Greg
I was a sports car guy in my youth, but the way people drive today, I wouldn't want to be in anything that small if a big SUV were to run into me these days.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I was a sports car guy in my youth, but the way people drive today, I wouldn't want to be in anything that small if a big SUV were to run into me these days.
I pretty much only drive the roadster around town…no highways. She is small, but she is fast..

I get my speed thrills driving the roadster…no so much fast, but getting up to speed fast!

Then I get my ecological, environmental and skill thrills from sailing, and NOT going fast…

In both cases…just enjoying the journey, and both are a labor of love when it comes to maintaining the 2 machines ;)

Greg