Captains Responsibilities on Provisions

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
:plus:

I cook, do dishes, and crank winches. And, I raise bees. Just saying.

-Will
Is there some processing necessary for honey before eating? Is there a difference between honeys? Is yours better than store bought?

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Is there some processing necessary for honey before eating? Is there a difference between honeys? Is yours better than store bought?
No processing. The less one messes with honey, the better. Store bought honey is usually pasteurized, unless it says "Raw" on the label. That cooks all the things that make honey good for you out.

My honey is simply my honey. Our customers seem to respond well to it, but there isn't anything that makes ours better than anyone else. We don't cook it, we don't filter it, except to get the chunks of wax and bee parts out.

Our property has a large amount of elderberry on it, and when we pull honey after the elderflowers are past, it has a wonderful, light citrus flavor from the elderflowers. Technically, we don't have the monoculture required to call it elderberry honey, but the taste is quite distinctive from the latter Summer pull, that's called Wildflower honey. That has a more traditional honey taste.

-Will