Captains Responsibilities on Provisions

May 23, 2011
Hunter Hunter Vision 32 Daytona Beach
Just a quick question on etiquette. You have asked friends if they can help you deliver your boat. Should you provide the provisions - such as food and water (not alcohol) for everyone for the passage or tell your friends to bring their own provisions?

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
Last time was for San Francisco to San Diego, I had boat fully provisioned with cooked and deli meats, salads, breads, fruits, eggs, hard boiled and raw, oatmeal etc.. Told crew what was on board and took them to market night before departure for anything specific they wanted. One idiot wanted a giant frozen pizza, picture that in the refer or the tiny oven.
So, yeah I pay "boat expenses" food, fuel, moorage fees etc. if "unpaid" crew are helping. Shoreside booze and meals are on their own and it'd be nice for them to treat me but not expected.

May 23, 2011
Last time was for San Francisco to San Diego, I had boat fully provisioned with cooked and deli meats, salads, breads, fruits, eggs, hard boiled and raw, oatmeal etc.. Told crew what was on board and took them to market night before departure for anything specific they wanted. One idiot wanted a giant frozen pizza, picture that in the refer or the tiny oven.
BUT BUT Dont you have a microwave? Thank you

• Ha
May 1, 2011
Pearson 37 Lusby MD
Should you provide the provisions - such as food and water (not alcohol) for everyone for the passage or tell your friends to bring their own provisions?
When I brought my boat up from Ft. Lauderdale, each of my crew paid for their airfare to FL. We evenly split the costs for provisions purchased in FL. I paid for all the other stuff - new propane tanks, fuel, etc.

May 23, 2011
Since you asked them for help it would be the right thing to do to provide support by providing provisions, if you would like their continued future help.
Thank you that is what I believe too. I have always done it To me it is the same if you are in a regatta. I always paid for the crews meals.

PaulK

Dec 1, 2009
Sabre 402 Southport, CT
Skipper always provides provisions on boats I've been on -- whether I'm crew or skipper. This goes for meals in restaurants while in port if the skipper is there, too. Not cheap, but it helps secure good crew. Going on a joint cruise with another couple on a bareboat charter would be a different story: everyone would expect to chip in for something like that.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
Just a quick question on etiquette. You have asked friends if they can help you deliver your boat. Should you provide the provisions - such as food and water (not alcohol) for everyone for the passage or tell your friends to bring their own provisions?
A key phrase you have used is "help you deliver your boat." Doing a delivery, I would expect the owner of the boat to be picking up the expenses of food and water as well as all travel/marina expenses.

Even in the case of shared expenses, having everyone bring their own food would not be how I would do it. I'd get agreement with those coming and purchase common food for the trip.

dj

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
Should you provide the provisions - such as food and water (not alcohol) for everyone for the passage...
Yes!

A friend told me this is belt and suspenders against liability, in case something happens and someone gets the idea that passengers bringing things is compensation. He would always provide food and drink, even when daysailing.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
A key phrase you have used is "help you deliver your boat."
:plus:
In the case of friends, you are both asking for their help and acting as host in your home.

You should also include the alcohol on board, beer or wine or whatever.
Obviously flightlead404 is thinking of one day "helping" you sail your boat somewhere, in the future. Now that's planning ahead. :beer:

-Will

Apr 2, 2021
Hunter 38 On the move
:plus:
In the case of friends, you are both asking for their help and acting as host in your home.

Obviously flightlead404 is thinking of one day "helping" you sail your boat somewhere, in the future. Now that's planning ahead. :beer:

-Will
hahahahaha

I just roped in a friend to help me move mine starting this weekend

He has a PhD in brewing (Swansea U), is a master brewer, and the standard of beer on board will be extremely high.

Should be a good trip!

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
You're out of the country @dLj , customs likely would stop you and you would have a tough time reaching the dock before the lines are untied.....

Me on the other hand could definitely travel across country and provide help... with the:beer:.

Pick me ! Pick Me! :biggrin:

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
I always paid for all the consumables on a voyage. I'd often offer each crew member $20.00 for their special treats, and if there is a dedicated cook, that person must put together a meal and snack plan and shop accordingly. Nobody can have a stash of their "private" consumables, except that $20.00 worth, which they may or may not share at will. Since I won't take anyone on any special diets to sea, the cook basically makes 4 good meals a day, on the 4 hour on/8 hour off schedule, everybody stays well fed.
Finding that cook who can serve up a really great, warm, heaty, pot of beef stew, made mainly from cans, in any conditions, is a true gem. Save that person's number if you plan on needing a cook now and then. Never hire someone who says they are a chef. Most are prima donnas, some of whom won't even do the dishes!

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
His first words to me were "I don't cook" as he stepped on board.
"How about coffee, you just have to boil water, I'll teach you" says I
"Nope, I don't cook"
"What do you eat for breakfast" says I.
"Oatmeal"
"Me too, you can make oatmeal for everyone" says I
"I eat it raw" he said, and he did, even tho I made enough for everyone else every AM..

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I don't think our bodies can even digest raw oatmeal. Probably the perfect diet food.

-Will

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
I don't think you should be able to call yourself a chef if you don't have years of dish duty under your belt.

-Will
A "chef" is an educated cook who produces aesthetically attractive as well as outstandingly tasty meals. You usually do not find them on cruising or weekenders' boats. Most make nearly as much as the captain, and as I said, most are prima donnas.
A good sea cook is what you want on a boat, and they are most often a member of the crew. They make great, hearty meals, even in rough weather, as well as crank winches, possibly take a watch, depending how many crew they have to cook for. A good cook can make or break the pleasure of the voyage. But in no way is a cook a chef.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
But in no way is a cook a chef.
No way? :yikes:
There is always room for a Renaissance Chef. One that is proud of his talent yet down to the sea with his actions. I suspect they are rare. And maybe why when found the Captain tends to want to keep them on board.