Captain Tolley's

Nov 3, 2010
Oday 39 Lake mills WI
Andrew/ Agprice22 recommendation for acrylic sealers reminded me of another great product for ageing sailboats. Captain Tolley's creeping crack cure

The product is a hoot and really works. Follow this link to the website. http://www.captaintolley.com/orig/orig.html
The product is a very thin water based penetrating epoxy sealer. I used it to seal a few leaks in my fixed ports on Panta Rhei before I got around to replacing crazed acrylic sheet. I also had a nagging drip overhead. The product is very simple to use. Run a bead around a cleat on deck. If it sucks in and disappears you have found a leak. If not , I simply wiped it up with a wet rag or I could have left it in place. It's clear and the bead is less than a 1/8 of an inch. It's the consistency of water. I then go back to where it sucked in and reapply. You know you have sealed the leak if it does not suck in. The product has a wetting agent in it so it will creep into the smallest crack. I have a 23 foot Oday that leaked like an old barn. I sealed it up tight in less than an hour using the product. I have not had a single leak since.

And Captain Tolley is everything you would expect. White bearded british sailor smoking a pipe. Look for the Video.

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
Neat! I will keep it in mind. My wife uses the acrylic coat to seal the gelcoat before she applies suction cup bungee hangers to hang lines on the cockpit bulkhead. It helps the suction cups hold. The thin epoxy might work too.

Thanks,

Andrew

Apr 2, 2014
Hunter 29.5 Long Beach, MS
Funny story. I was rebuilding a 28' O'Day and had a few leaks like you described. I had ordered several parts and Capt. Tolleys. The shipment got lost and I called UPS to report the problem. The lady I was talking with wanted a list of all parts that were in the shipment. I told her all the parts and then I told her please don't think I am being ugly but the last part is "Captain Tolley's Creeping Crack Cure". She Laughed and laughed and then giggled. It was a good while before we finished our conservation.