Captain in a box online system

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 2, 2008
Beneteau 331 Chicago (DuSable)
I have sailed for many years and am really thinking about getting my captains license for many reasons, including for eventual retirement it may offer some part time revenue. I looked into the MLS system online. It looks pretty good and they give the test. I am a very comfortable self-teaching and in fact retain more. I used the professors (engineering) to reinforce what I studied the night before.

Would appreciate any positive or negative feedback if you have tried it yourself of have direct knowledge. It is about $800 but the boast a over 90% passing rate for those taking the exam but no numbers on how many started but never finished. To be fair that is not their fault if someone never tries to test. But just wondering....

Thanks,
Craig

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37 C sloop Punta Gorda FL
Used to be able to buy a set of all the questions they could possibly ask. Was on paper Ina notebook. Now probably DVD. Was $25. First you need lots of documented boating experience. Then you need to know the col regs really well. You are not going to learn much in 20 or 30 hours, so you need to go in already familiar with the regs, Light patterns etc. take this with a grain of salt. My knowledge comes from 1982 when I got my six pack.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
Used to be able to buy a set of all the questions they could possibly ask. Was on paper Ina notebook. Now probably DVD. Was $25. First you need lots of documented boating experience. Then you need to know the col regs really well. You are not going to learn much in 20 or 30 hours, so you need to go in already familiar with the regs, Light l.patterns etc. take this with a grain of salt. My knowledge comes from 1982 when I got my six pack.
In reality, the USCG licensing system and the prep for it, is a joke. All the prep courses only give one what is necessary to pass the test and that is in multiple choice format, so the correct answer is right there in front of you, if you've studied at all! I do not understand how anyone with the experience required to take the test could faill, but those of us who are USCG licensed captains realize that there is no verification of "sea time" so even the most inexperienced person capable of passing the test can become a "licensed" captain. At least for a driver's license you must actually drive a vehicle.
The USCG licenses below 1600 tons are absolutely worthless anywhere but the US; a joke in the industry!
My British chief officer's certificate required a 25 hour examination, plus I was required to actually operate numerous vessels provided by the testing agency (in my case, I was the harbor pilot for 4 weeks) before even being allowed to sit for the exam, no matter how well I knew the test material.
You should have absolutely no problem passing the tests with the coast guard, if your study materials are up to date, as far as the questions are concerned.
A word of caution; any medical history outside the norm provided, will come back to haunt you in the future.

rfrye1

Jun 15, 2004
Hunter H376 San Diego
I've considered the same. The course in San Diego is about 2 weeks 9-4, M-F. At my age (late 50's) I don't have the attention span to sit there that long any more. I assume it's like any other licensing exam. Just memorize, and take many practice exams. I'm in the insurance/financial service biz, and honestly every license exam I've ever taken has nothing to do with what I do. Just bureaucrats doing what they do best.
Bob.

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
Once tested and certified, does one need to re-certify again?

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
Once tested and certified, does one need to re-certify again?
If you don't let your license lapse, you need a medical exam, sea service forms and some $ and your TWIC every 5 years.

Nov 24, 2012
I took the MLS course and liked it. I believe the cost is well below 800. Ask for a boat show special..

I liked it better than the weekend courses that are only focused on passing the test. They have a lot of content behind the course material and you can also take tests so you can measure comprehension.

Jan 22, 2008
Islander Freeport, 41 Ketch Longmont, CO
I did the MLS system a couple of years ago. People are correct, it does nothing to prove you can operate a boat are will be a good captain. It does teach rules of the road, lights and sounds probably as well as any course.

As to value of USCG Captains licenses, I'll take what I learned in the MLS course as a better way since its me learning for myself. There are lots of ways to cheat or skip actually learning but when its at your own pace I felt like I spent more time to actually learn the material.

I liked the MLS course, it came with all the material promised, seemed reasonably priced and was a good way for me to learn. If you can learn at your own pace you should find it valuable.

Good Luck

Victor

Jan 6, 2010
I feel Capta nailed it with the details he posted.

I feel the same way that the whole captain's course & test along with the "let's make it all up" sea time numbers was really a joke.

I went with Sea School back in the day for my license. Capta was right when he said that they teach you how to pass the test. Sorta like accepted cheating.

I do feel that by sitting in a class with other students was the way to go. I know it's cheaper than the $800.00 course. Being in a class has more discussing & questions than being by yourself. One problem I saw was the sea time requirements. One student a week into the class asked the instructor, "What do you mean when you always say BEAM?".

Now tell me she had the required sea time. She was a dive instructor & admitted to needing to have a captain's ticket for her "Dive Captain" certification.

And let's us not forget the "Cheat Sheet" they teach you to write & use for the test.
Finally, two test sections you will really need to know is Navigation & Rules of the Road.

CR

Status
Not open for further replies.