Capsized transport in GOM.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
The Weather Channel had a report about a capsizing in the GOM yesterday afternoon. They reported 3 rescues but feared lost lives because the vessel had more people aboard. They also reported buoys nearby recorded 38' waves. Other than that the details were sketchy. Does anyone, especially the Gulf Coasties, have any better information? Is it too soon for better information? What is a lift boat?

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Nytimes says:
"A lift boat is a self-propelled work vessel with a broad open deck commonly found along the Gulf Coast. They support drilling, construction and oceanic exploration and can work in shallow or deepwater settings."

merlin_161064834_977f7445-5741-4a74-8bbc-4d5cf1a02994-mobileMasterAt3x.jpg

12 missing. 18 were aboard

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I guess they got caught out... I hope the captain didn't choose to go out in 38' waves.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Uhm?
Thanks for the pic - I couldn't imagine what is was from the photos I saw. I could see that thing being overwhelmed by large seas. Sad for the missing's families.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Uhm?
Thanks for the pic - I couldn't imagine what is was from the photos I saw. I could see that thing being overwhelmed by large seas. Sad for the missing's families.
Totally.
I was initially wondering if it was one of those heavy lift ships that can sink and lift marine vessels from the water.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
There's a whole world of marine operations I know nothing about. If I ever see that salvage show on TWC I'll watch.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Reports state 18 or 19
Photos appear to show the legs extended, so likely not underway ?
My understanding is that it was enroute to an oil platform that was approximately 40 miles South East of departure point at Port Fourchon. The route would have taken the vessel SE of the Mississippi River delta region. These vessels are called "spud barges" in the industry.
There is machinery on the barge that allows the legs to extend to the sea bed, therefore jacking the barge above the water surface to provide a stable work platform as seen in post #2. While underway, the spuds extend high above the deck that would cause instability in big seas that occurred. Only 5 or 6 survivors so far. Remaining crew probably were trapped inside the cabin when the boat capsized. Reportedly, 7-9' seas when they left port; weather deteriorated significantly after departure.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
I hope they don't overdue the drama
They will. It's part of the game of any of that type of show.

The first season of ice road truckers was kicked off the Tibbitt to Contwoyto Winter Road because of it.

Not as much outright horrible drama fabrication as shows like Adventure Unknown, but still fake drama.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
While underway, the spuds extend high above the deck that would cause instability in big seas that occurred
Looking at that photo again, that makes sense. You can see the position of the pads for the legs.

Thanks for the local knowledge !

I wonder why they call them spuds ? Here, spuds = potatoes

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
They will. It's part of the game of any of that type of show.

The first season of ice road truckers was kicked off the Tibbitt to Contwoyto Winter Road because of it.

Not as much outright horrible drama fabrication as shows like Adventure Unknown, but still fake drama.
I've gotten hooked on the show "Alone". First season is in Vancouver. The scenery is amazing. Season 6 is my favorite so far (Artic)

WayneH

Jan 22, 2008
Tartan 37 287 Pensacola, FL
I have seen hundreds of spud barges along the GICW. I wonder how fast the legs come down. But I would guess the legs move slowly and there was not enough time to jack up the barge before the squall line hit. It was a fast moving squall line with wind gusts clocked at 66knots at the Pensacola airport.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
I wonder how fast the legs come down. But I would guess the legs move slowly and there was not enough time to jack up the barge before the squall line hit. It was a fast moving squall line with wind gusts clocked at 66knots at the Pensacola airport.
Read an article in the local newspaper this AM. I didnt realize that the legs can be as high as 100 -150 ft depending on the size of the vessel. Someone familiar with the operation of these vessels mentioned that attempting to deploy the legs in high seas, to jack the vessel out of the water, would result in the legs pounding on the sea floor, before the vessel could clear the water surface. He stated that it would rip the legs from the vessel because of the shock forces. interesting. The jack up barges that I have seen are rather small with legs of 30-40ft; they are primarily used in inland waters to service oil & gas production platforms as well as well heads. The big ones operate offshore.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I'm still trying to wrap my head around how 30 to 40 foot waves can form with winds in the 70 mph range. I've been caught out with that kind of wind (Gusts nearby were recorded at 90 mph) in Gardiner's Bay. It was terrifying. But we didn't see seas anything like that. We had less than 10 feet. Granted Gardiner's Bay is not open water. How long did this wind blow for? I don't think waves that big could form from a typical frontal wind.
My understanding is that the lift boat was not that far from shore - I think I heard 7 miles - and that the wind was Northerly. That means that most of us could encounter such conditions. I would like to know more about this phenomena and how to avoid getting into that situation. Was that condition forecast? What happened?

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
I'm still trying to wrap my head around how 30 to 40 foot waves can form with winds in the 70 mph range. I've been caught out with that kind of wind (Gusts nearby were recorded at 90 mph) in Gardiner's Bay. It was terrifying. But we didn't see seas anything like that. We had less than 10 feet. Granted Gardiner's Bay is not open water. How long did this wind blow for? I don't think waves that big could form from a typical frontal wind.
My understanding is that the lift boat was not that far from shore - I think I heard 7 miles - and that the wind was Northerly. That means that most of us could encounter such conditions. I would like to know more about this phenomena and how to avoid getting into that situation. Was that condition forecast? What happened?
No comparison to open water. 30 knots would easily form 10+ foot seas with enough fetch, and 60+ is more than 2x the energy. Add in other factors such as depth and current, and the waves can build even higher.

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Fort Walton Yacht Club, Florida

As waves move in from deeper to shallower water all that water and energy has no place to go but up

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Saw reports from shrimp boat captains who said they had never seen waves that big. They stated that they didn’t believe that they were going tosurvive. These guys operate in the gulf all the time, so it must have been some big seas. Will have to check the wave height data from the offshore buoys.

Last edited: