Capri 26 - tabernacle/maststep question

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Brad Williams

I'm leaving town in a day for 10 days.....got home too late to call Catalina....and hate to do it on the road without my specs, but here's what I've got. DPO destroyed the maststep on Capri 26. I have a new one and just stasrted looking into replacing it today. In my Owner's book (which is pretty light on specifics) it shows a drawing of a Mast Step Plate Installation (Drawing Number 260-24015). Essentially it shows a 1) Deck Pan, @) a "supplied plate", and then 3) a tabernacle. I'm not sure what this is.....maybe a conversion to allow a maststep -- I don't know how the boat came originally. Well, this supplied plate has two predrilled holes and almost looks like a shim of sorts. It only goes under the aft part of the tabernacle ...ie, just two holes for the two aft bolts. The drawing calls the supplied plate and two 1/4" x 4 1/2 " bolts, and the drawing itself the Kit Bill of Materials. Again, my thinking, it's some retrofit kit. Anyway, I don't have the supplied plate in the twisted remains -- what was it for, anyone have a clue. I do have a piece of plastic block with all four holes drilled. It allows wiring to come up into the mast (radio etc). And because the kit only includes the two aft bolts, I suspect that they are a different length than the original aft bolts. Apparently, the two forward bolts can be reused in the retro fit. Totally confused? Sorry. My problem is that I

B

Brad Williams

Continuation of maststep question.

Sorry, my machine went crazy. Back to my problem. I have three of the original, twisted and bent bolts. Each is a different length. That, in itself, freaks me out. Well, the new bolts that Catalina sent me are 6" long -- way too long. Okay, no problem cut them. Well, I want to make sure I'm okay without this "supplied plate" because that may or may not dictate length. And.... they sent me these "nuts" that seem to screw up into the compression post and meet the bolts coming down (I don't remember what they are called). So, using this method, which would be nice and clean, I'd cut the nuts about 1/16" short of coming all the way through and out the cmpression post holes. But, the Compression post holes aren't big enough to allow these nut things to go up into them and meet the bolt if I did it this way. Couldn't have been this way before I'm thinking. Do I drill the compression post holes out a little to allow this, or do I just cut the bolts so that they come all the way through the compression post and use some type of acorn or cap nut (heck, I could use regular nuts and lock washers if I did that....it just wouldn't look as nice. Is anyone at all familiar this set up. The boat's a 90 -- the retrofit kit (if that's what is) is a 92 version. What's it look like from the inside on your boat where the mast step bolts secure to the compression post? This is pretty jumbled. Sorry, but my mind is racing. Do I just make it work and stop worrying so much? Brad

M

MIKE GURLEY

MAST STEP

Brad: I think that what you are seeing is the retrofit plate which was supplied in an attempt to stop the weatherhelm. I believe it was plastic. I might be wrong. But, anyway. There is a plate with 4 holes in it, it is the base plate that the mast step fits into. It is called the mast step bale plate. It is the plate that the blocks attach to. On top of that goes the mast step, it has two long holes in it for the mast bolt on the bottom is 4 holes. These all line up and the bolts then go through the cabin top and through the compression plate attached to the compression post (welded). The bolts are finished with acorn nuts. I am going to try to get my boat home this Saturday 3-10-01, barring any snow. You are more than welcome to give me a call and look at mine boat. The bolts are different lengths. Wait till you rebed the jib tracks on the cabin top. Just remember which hole which bolt came out of. Mike Gurley recess1@aol.com

D

Dave

Mast step

Hi Brad. Mike has the correct info. That is exactly how the whole thing goes togather. If he is close, go and take a look at Mikes and it will all become clear. Dave S/VWestwind

Status
Not open for further replies.